Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pitman Arm Puller: Where?

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
Hi folks;

Have removed steering box and pitman nut from said box, now I need to pull the arm off.

I've read a lot of people who say a puller is needed, and how it works, and how to assist it, and so forth. What I don't have is a PULLER! My local parts stores seem to stock the 15-20$ pullers that don't have a big enough throat to get around my steering box.

The tool Ford calls for is T64P-3590-F. Most of the tools I can find on the internet that conform to this part number are in the 80-90$ range, which seems like a lot of money for a tool I won't use that frequently.

I thought about calling some local garages to find out if they had a puller that would work, but the first one I called said they didn't do stuff like that. Advance doesn't rent a puller that will work. I'd much rather pay like 20$ to rent a tool or pay someone to pull the arm than spend 90$ on something I will only rarely need.

What would you guys do in this situation? What would a fair market price be to pull the arm off? Is there a cheaper place to buy a usable tool, or to rent one, for well less than 90$? Or should I just bite the cost and buy it?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
DNFXDLI, thats about the same one I can find for sale cheaply. Problem is the opening at the bottom isn't big enough, and it looked like it was pretty tight fit for the outer diameter of the pitman arm, too.
Flareside: Can you describe your BFH technique? I've heard some use pickle forks for this, but I'd be afraid of damaging the splines on the sector shaft...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I tried the BFG idea when I was taking apart the 79. It screwed up the drag link and I was also worried about the shock load on the sector shaft. I did try a pickle fork with an air hammer...didn't work.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've tried the BFH and pickle fork route before...always eneded in disaster and costing me more money. I'd say bite th bullet and pay up, unless you can find someone that will rent one the appropriate size. I dunno how you feel about it, but typically with tools I use minimally, I have a whole bunch of buddies that use it minimally too, which adds up to frequent use. So we all either chip in for it, or one of us buys it and we square up if someone needs to borrow it. Besides, having another tool is never a bad thing.

x2 :)

I bought a USA-made pitman arm puller way back when,
because I was keeping my pickup "forever"...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/steeringgear.jpg
...the nut has a 1+5/16" hex.

{edit}
Even with that puller on there as tight as I could get it, that particular
pitman arm didn't loosen until I laid the big-fat-round-end-of-it on an
"anvil" and whacked it with my little "bonding hammer". The two together
did the trick. That arm and steering gear was original to my '75 F100
parts truck and neither had been removed before.

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I made one easy to make. A flat bar. Weld a nut to the center. Get two flat steel prices drill out area so it will slide on bar. Bend ends 90 degree toske grab hooks, temper ends and hot good to go. Look at pitas ARM pulled and you can figure out how to make one. Total body about 1
5 bucks and.15 minutes to make.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you're going to install a new arm as well, drill 4 holes in the arm where the shaft goes through in a straight line. Then use a chisel or air chisel along those holes to make a crack happen. After that, the arm usually drops off.

Numerous parts houses have a Lend-a-Tool program
Napa,Autozone are two {and Checker/O'Reilly's too}.
This is for those expensive one time use tools
x2 and yes it's usually thought of for the expensive tools.

But, I used a 1+1/16" socket the other day in the parking lot and they didn't
have one in their loaner-tool-box so pulled one off the shelf, pulled the display
tag off it and handed it to me and I put it in my shirt pocket and walked out.
LOL :)

I was prob'ly the only pinche-gringo in that whole west Phoenix area. LOL :)
Could have walked there easy from my friend's house.

Muy feo gabacho in AZ

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
UTfball68: problem is, I don't have enough friends that are into classic trucks... give me another dozen years and maybe I'll develop some ;)

Alvin in AZ:
That steering box and pitman arm looks WAY smaller than mine. Mine's a 79, but its also a 4x4. It attaches on the other side of the frame member, on the outside of the driver's side frame, in front of the wheel. Mine's also power steering, I'm embarassed to say I can't tell what kind yours is :( My pitman arm is frickin HUUUGE though.

Last edited:

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
OK I couldn't find one for rent anywhere in the area and apparently don't have the right friends, so I went ahead and bit the bullet, and bought one. 60$ out the door, still expensive but not HORRIBLE.

Will follow up on progress, minus the time I will lose for my new baby, that should arrive around Monday ;)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
A new tool is never a bad thing...and congrats on the soon to be kid. And use this little nugget of wisdom, when your wife starts complaining about the pain, remind her that the kid had to come out of you first...

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
Just wanted to reply with a 'happy ending' :)

Got my OTC 7311A puller today. Got home after work, made short work of the pitman arm! Puller + 3 foot cheater + BFH, crank, tap w/ hammer, crank, tap w/ hammer, had it off lickety split with no damage!

I can actually rebuild the sucker now... so allow me to make a hearty recommendation for the OTC 7311A pitman arm puller, for all your 79 4x4 needs! Shipped via Amazon, 60$ to my door.

Congrats! Gotta love Amazon. Bought my transmission jack from them too lol who knew they sold tools?? I just thought they sold books and Kindles haha

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
Following up on this topic. Finished my rebuild (in between receiving new baby!!!!), and after properly bleeding the air from the system, my power steering is LIKE NEW.
I am very happy to have accomplished a successful rebuild, and as most of the little 'projects' I have had with this truck, I have learned a TON about trucks and machining in general. GOOD STUFF!

Ford Truck Articles