Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Picking up new family member today.....:)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Shapr $$$ ride Ken...glad you picked it up and it's what you were looking for. Congrats.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
In PA now.....by FAR the worst roads of the entire trip. There were tons of bugs and was constantly cleaning my windshield and headlights.....NOTE TO SELF......DO NOT CLEAN YOUR WINDSHIELDS WITH THE SQUEEGEES AT THE GAS STATION!!! DAMNIT.....I think there was some gas mixed in the water (I think some people would try to squeegee spilled gas - I've done this before to try and save my paint job) and had some streaks in the paint I noticed the next day in the sun......was able to pretty much buff it out, but was worried I'd ruin some of the paint.....from that point on I cleaned my windshield with my own stuff!!!! Maybe Austin can recommend some cleaning and buffing tools and tips when I get a chance to give it it's first good detail!

10.58 MPG's. :)

20130704_234630_zpsb72a18fe.jpg

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Very large truck stop in Harrisburg, PA where I had to get some rest....I thought about stretching out in the cab, but it was so nice out, I was eager to sleep in the bed of the truck. I bought a blanket and pillow at Wallyworld and camped out in the back....slept like a freakin rock....went down around 1 I think and got up around 4ish....went into the truck stop, washed up, changed clothes, then headed out Friday morning!

Going nighty night in the bed....awesome, it's like camping!

20130705_010628_zps2e0a5b04.jpg

It's Safe:
20130705_010746_zps2dc12c98.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
This little pit stop was to stretch my legs and get my blood flowing. It's a tiny town on the boarder of PA and NY called Matamoras for those that want to google it. Stopped at a Kmart to get a few supplies. And part of my plan was to be able to do some quick waterless carwash details enroute whenever I pulled over to get a little rest and get the blood flowing. This was one of those stops and she cleaned up really, really well! People who were pulling in and out of the parking lot were looking at me funny and wondering why I was cleaning my truck in a parking lot.....I did park at the very end where there were no cars. Was fun.....see in the last picture where the front end picture was taken......not a single drop of fluid or wetness anywhere under this rig....pretty amazing.

20130705_093142_zps4352951b.jpg

20130705_093208_zps79827a5c.jpg

20130705_092031_zps4a488d91.jpg

20130705_084939_zpsd7d399e7.jpg

For a break I did a quick detail of tgr outside. ...she cleans up pretty well!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
After spending a little bit of time with the PO, I got to learn a little more about the truck and the previous PO and the story got a little cooler.

The truck, as you can see below, was an original SC truck, so the rig never left the state......the guy that bought it brand new in May 1979, sold it to a young guy.....close to my age who is wealthy beyond wealthy, the son of one of the riches guys in SC. The first owner used it as a farm truck all these years. 2 years ago he sold it to the rich kid who bought it with the intention of restoring it. So the rich kid (official owner #2) took it to his mechanic buddy and gave him a blank check and said restore this thing, but not to show quality (meaning all the little tiny details of an intimate restore), just functional and pretty which is why there aren't the incredible details that my 77 had as the 77 was built with a father/son labor of love and detail over 8 years.

The total receipts to the general contractor mechanic was $27,000. Engine, tranny, t-case were professionally rebuilt.

The last 2 years the guy hardly drove it if at all. Then traded the truck to the latest guy (official owner #3) for a work truck. The guy still works just cause his dad showed him the extreme example of hard work, even though he doesn't need to and is set up for life with a gazzillion dollar trust fund that's paying interest each month to him and his siblings, but he still works which is why he got another work truck.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^The little bro has them on his StupidDuty...when they get worn, they'll start howling. Good mall crawler tire...decent mud tire, definitely no Swamper/Bogger...and I'd probably put them right below BFG MT's...but they do look pretty cool.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^The little bro has them on his StupidDuty...when they get worn, they'll start howling. Good mall crawler tire...decent mud tire, definitely no Swamper/Bogger...and I'd probably put them right below BFG MT's...but they do look pretty cool.

Good to know...thanks Ben....I think they way I'll be using the rig over the years, the tires will last till the boys get old enough to change them...hopefully. They do look pretty cool and sounded fine on the trip up.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not sure if you're serious about the tire replacement time frame...but tires do have an expiration...especially on rigs that just sit. I never bought in to it until my recent blow out. Only mentioning because I'd hate to see that truck eat it because you blew a front tire that was 2...3...5 years past it's expiration. That was my first issue in 10 years...may have just been the tire, so it may never happen to you, just relaying a little perspective.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I follow the 10 year rule. Just watch out for dry rot, cracking, etc..

Here's a detailing tip - did you know that tire shine can extend the life of your tires? Keeping them clean and coated in the shiny stuff blocks UV rays from drying them out.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Not sure if you're serious about the tire replacement time frame...but tires do have an expiration...especially on rigs that just sit. I never bought in to it until my recent blow out. Only mentioning because I'd hate to see that truck eat it because you blew a front tire that was 2...3...5 years past it's expiration. That was my first issue in 10 years...may have just been the tire, so it may never happen to you, just relaying a little perspective.

Ben, I was being serious....I had no idea! Common sense tells me that tires don't last forever, but I didn't know there was a shelf even for vehicles that don't get used much....THANKS!!!!

Looks like I'll be getting some super swampers in 5-10 years. With that said.....below......

I follow the 10 year rule. Just watch out for dry rot, cracking, etc..

Here's a detailing tip - did you know that tire shine can extend the life of your tires? Keeping them clean and coated in the shiny stuff blocks UV rays from drying them out.

Another great thing to know! I do take care of my tires....every time I detail my rigs, which is a couple times a month in the summer, I armorall the tires, but I don't do anything with the inside walls....should I? From what you said Austin, it's the sun that does the damage? Not just time? And if so, it would primarily be the outer walls, right?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
They'll dry up eventually, but it's mostly the sun that can dry rot them. You're not going to get another 10 years out of them, but you'll extend the life. Don't worry too much about the inside.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Ben, I was being serious....I had no idea! Common sense tells me that tires don't last forever, but I didn't know there was a shelf even for vehicles that don't get used much....THANKS!!!!

Looks like I'll be getting some super swampers in 5-10 years. With that said.....below......

Another great thing to know! I do take care of my tires....every time I detail my rigs, which is a couple times a month in the summer, I armorall the tires, but I don't do anything with the inside walls....should I? From what you said Austin, it's the sun that does the damage? Not just time? And if so, it would primarily be the outer walls, right?

A rig is not clean unless the tires are cleaned! Otherwise, it's like wearing a nice suit and tie with muddy boots.

I use the Armorall Foam - I like the look because it's not TOO shiny.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Meguiar's NXT for me...but I'm blingtastic like that.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I try to just put enough on the rag to take away all of the dry areas and darken it a little.....I used to soak the tires and then it would spray up on the truck when I got on the road and it's not that important that it be shiny/wet black and all.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^That's why I spray mine at night after I'm done with it for the day, it'll absorb. Then next morning, or the next time I use it, dab off with a towel for any excess...and you're good to go.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts