Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

paint code help

Its time for me to order my new canopie for my truck. I am going to have it paint matched to the burgandy color of the body. Its a 78. Here is the problem. Both tags on my driverside door are missing and the tag on the door jam does not have the paint code filled in. I called my local ford dealership and they could not help.
I am ordering this canopie out of my area so I can't just show up with my truck for the paint match. I am starting to troll parking lots to find anouther truck my color so I can ask the owner what his door lists it at. There are not many this same color though and it could take a while. plus I look kind of creepy. There must be a better way.

Its time for me to order my new canopie for my truck. I am going to have it paint matched to the burgandy color of the body. Its a 78. Here is the problem. Both tags on my driverside door are missing and the tag on the door jam does not have the paint code filled in. I called my local ford dealership and they could not help.
I am ordering this canopie out of my area so I can't just show up with my truck for the paint match. I am starting to troll parking lots to find anouther truck my color so I can ask the owner what his door lists it at. There are not many this same color though and it could take a while. plus I look kind of creepy. There must be a better way.

So , are you asking a question ?

You could also post a picture of said truck or maybe a hint as to what color it is. Never know, someone might be able to tell you the right color code.

Cool thanks for those. My canopie now is losing parts as I drive. So it's time. Now I can order it prepainted. It has a date on the sticker on the door jam of 7/78 so I guess ity must be right at the model year change point
Thanks
Chad

Last edited:
Maybe I can show up at the local autpomotive paint supplier and see thier color charts for it. I am worried that what I see off the web that was pictured through a camera and then through my sceen will render the color inaccurate. Do you think that most ppg distrubuters will have those charts on hand?

Yes, they will

Also visit as many truck shows as you can.

There are plenty of people who prefer stock original trucks over altered

Maybe I can show up at the local autpomotive paint supplier and see thier color charts for it. I am worried that what I see off the web that was pictured through a camera and then through my sceen will render the color inaccurate. Do you think that most ppg distrubuters will have those charts on hand?

Not all shops have "complete" sample books back that far
But you might get lucky

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
A round about way of going about this is...Send your VIN into Ford. Request a build sheet and your paint color (not code, but that can be cross referenced) should be included on that build sheet. Best part about it, it's free...but it'll probably take 4-6 weeks to get the sheet.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts