Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Overheating...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Truck is intermittently overheating when idling. Temp rises fast enough that stopping at a light gets hairy. Temp returns to normal when moving. I have two e-fans that are fully operational. Thermostat to blame?

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
The reason I asked about the coolant change is that sometimes you can get bubbles in the coolant if not properly changed.

My Mustang would overheat at idle and go back to normal once I started to drive again. It had crap in the water jacket passages :( (not saying that this is your issue Austin)

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I had that problem in the Lincoln.

Did some fiddling around and found a loose connection on fan number one. Doubles speed when I move the wire joint. I'm going to pull the unit and rewire everything... picked up a t-stat just for the heck of it.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
FelPro. :D

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yeah your fans aren't cooling adequately. If it cools off when moving, that tells me your thermostat is opening up okay. Either the fans are underpowered, wrongly installed, or they aren't activating at the right temperature. The fact that it cools off while moving tells me that when it gets adequate airflow, it's fine.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles