Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Overdrive transmission

Hello,new guy here with a question. Is the overdrive trany that came in a few 79 f-100s worth putting money in ? I think they have been called 3+1s , top loader imposters , clarks, ect. , it has 4 speeds and the fourth is overdrive. Looks a lot like a passenger car ford top loader. I have one but the front bearing is out,the rest looks allright the best i can tell without taking it apart. A shop i take some of my cars to said they could rebuild it for about $400.00 if there are no bad gears in it. I was thinking of putting it back in my f-100 behind the 302 i took out of it. What do you guys think, wast of time or what ? I know a good auto overdrive or 5 speed might be better, but that's more money and i just use this little truck to run around in. I have a f-350 dually to haul stuff in. Thanks for any help, JIM :wave:

I would think 1st of all that it would be a waste of time to swap a 460 for a 302 just to use a different tranny.

I would think 1st of all that it would be a waste of time to swap a 460 for a 302 just to use a different tranny.

Well ,yes and no. As far as time, that means nothing to me as i have been taking them apart since the 60s.I am retired and have lots of time on hand until i die. Can't ever leave them unchanged,L.O.L. I do like my 460 i put in. I had it in a bronco for about 15 years and still runs great. It made the little 302 fill under powered after putting it in. I could still put the 302 in the 51 f-2 ,but was sorta thinking about putting the 460 in it. Just need to make use of the trany and what i put it in doesn't have any bearing on the original question , "is it worth rebuilding" ?:)But thanks for your opinion. JIM:wavey:

blacksnapon

Staff member
my opinion.......of all of the transmissions that ford has produced over the years, the two worst are the 4 speed overdrive and the 5 speed overdrive made in the late 70's and early 80's.

those are good trannies. The case will accept all the old TopLoader internals if you find one with a bad case. They are quite simple and easy to build/re-build. You could probly do it yourself for alot less money and a little time. They have gotten a bit of a bad rap but if you are not drag racing the truck it should be more than strong enough and depending on the rest of your set up should provide very good milage. I have seen one used behind a big block in a light drag car, guy told me he thought he had a Top Loader 4-speed when he put it in. Since he runs 1/8 mile he nevergot to 4th so he just kept it in there. I say rebuild it yourself and enjoy it :)

those are good trannies. The case will accept all the old TopLoader internals if you find one with a bad case. They are quite simple and easy to build/re-build. You could probly do it yourself for alot less money and a little time. They have gotten a bit of a bad rap but if you are not drag racing the truck it should be more than strong enough and depending on the rest of your set up should provide very good milage. I have seen one used behind a big block in a light drag car, guy told me he thought he had a Top Loader 4-speed when he put it in. Since he runs 1/8 mile he nevergot to 4th so he just kept it in there. I say rebuild it yourself and enjoy it :)

Thanks ,I'v heard that before and no i don't drag race or abuse my vehicals. Well ,i do kick the 460 a little in my f-100, if a chevy or dodge ask for it, L.O.L. I leave them chocking in tire smoke. Now back to the trany. I did replace the front bearing in my 56 fairlane overdrive trany about 20 years ago and it's still going. I believe i can do this one,but i thought if it was worth putting $400.00 in ,i would have a shop do it. I am getting some problems with my hands,do to old age ha ha,and really don't want to start on it. So i guess i really want to know if you guys think it's worth spending $400.00 on ? Thanks :) JIM

not sure if its worth $400. I bought 2 of them about a month ago for $75 each. I also got 2 ZF 5-speeds for $200 each from the same guy. Only mention that for price comparing not sure what prices are in your area. That being said $400 seems alittle much to me, but I have been know to be quite frugal (some say cheap) at times lol

Ford Truck Articles