Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

OMG!! what power....

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Well filled my tank up with premium the other day and today i borrowed a timing light and set it to 16* (please don't start asking about the spout connector because I know what i am doing) AND OMG!!! What a difference i almost crapped my pants the first time i took off!! a lot more power and much better throttle response!

Michigan
Musta been that muffler delete smiliegitrdone lol jk good to hear :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah man timing makes a big difference. Just be careful, 16* is pretty far. Take it up a steep hill and lug the engine in 3rd or 4th gear (don't let it downshift) and see if you hear pinging. That's how I found out that my timing was too far out. Bad pinging will destroy your engine, I'm sure you know.

Black150

California Chapter member
So Cal
smiliewhathesaid

I couldn't take it past 14*, but with regular. I wonder if using premium would allow for a little more advance.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I have yet to do mine as well...makin me wanna get on that now.....Black150...welcome to the site man......nice to see Chris isn't the lonely hippie anymore.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
NP dude once again welcome...and thanks for entertaining my comment about hippies with ya'll ritualistic dances.Nice to know the folks over in beverly hills dress up in banana suits with phsyco clown wigs and to the humpty dumpty dance.lol

andym

Real men are fanatics
Remember that just because you can't hear the engine pinging, doesn't mean it isn't still happening. I leave my timing set at 10 BTDC. :)

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Remember that just because you can't hear the engine pinging, doesn't mean it isn't still happening. I leave my timing set at 10 BTDC. :)

yup that's true! I set it back to 12* and I know i am well inside the safety margin there...

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
how much can you go on regular 87 octane? The 390 in my sig is at the stock 6*... can we get more out of in on 87?

I would say no more that 8* or 9* other wise its gonna start pinging....

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
know it won't do too much on 87 without pinging. would 8* or 9* make a noticeable difference?

EDIT: just curious... your sig says *horrible gas mileage* 'smiliepig'
What kind of mpg do you gt out of that 302?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Matt-- 2-3 degrees will make a world of difference in power, trust me. Just be very careful because you might not even know that the engine is pinging. I didn't realize for several months after I adjusted my timing up to 12 or 13*

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
That's what I figured. My dad said he used to run his Plymouth Roadrunner
at 12 - 13* and it moved like you wouldn't believe.

Also, I like your new sig - the soft edges are nice.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I make those sigs for a lot of the members here. If you want one just lemme know ;)

Crap I just remembered I owe one to Doc :headbang:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Thanks for the offer, but it knda requres that I have a half decent pic of the truck, which I don't. If I ever get one though I'll send ya a PM about it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts