Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oldmobile Diesel: For Zuma

In high school i took on the challenge, of making an 82 diesel buick run. My dad had got it for my mom in the early 90's (he was in love with his 6.2/6.5 gm diesels and figured how bad could it be). he had a head put on it and got it running and my mom drove it and hated every minute. in 95 is lost the lower rad hose and lost the engine. fast forward to 2006/2007 i tore it down and finally managed to get it rebuild and running well about 2012 after hunting down hard to find parts , making young mistakes and or course hot rod'n it.

this cart got a 4 speed manual from an 84 Chevy celb, custom flywheel. the engine was fully balanced, full roller valve train, custom cam grind, arp bolt (where i could find ones that would work).

in 2012 after having this on and off the street sence 2008 i just wanted to see what she would do. so i started making a run from Fort Collins to Laramie, Wy. i was running about 95-100 based on the tach at 2/3 peddle and out of revs (fun but stupid). coming up on the forks i started to shut down, popped her into neutral looked at the oil gauge, no pressure at idle, 30 psi at 2500. when i got her home i found the crank touched the bearings so i pulled the motor out of the car and scraped it. stupid me should have been running the car that hard with the coolant temp at 220F, i think i thinned out the oil, young fun :(

any here are some picture of the finished thing
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.886869138100215&type=1

Zuma

California Chapter member
Ah How sad.:( I didn't know what you meant by lost of young fun but now I do. Do you still have the car and better yet what gasoline equivalent could bolt right in since it's not the 350?

i scraped the car, cleaner a-bodys can be had for cheap. gave the engine to friend for this 4.3 diesel project. gave the trans setup to a friend for his turbo 3.3 project.

i dont ever worry about what i put into a project, i love fixing, and "hot rodding" more then i do driving them. not to say i dont like driving them! i worked on this car from 17-23 and learned alot

plus its always a good feeling knowing the first tranmistion i rebuild is in this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0jTCYXTNTc

Last edited:

Zuma

It lives on? That's good!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Haha great story. And ZUMA! My toddler loves Paw Patrol.

Ryan

Zuma

Haha great story. And ZUMA! My toddler loves Paw Patrol.

Ryan
Oh heh heh:redface: I was sick one day and I put it on out of curiosity and I love it despite being way way out of the target age. Sadly there is hardly any good shows on tv anymore or I probably wouldn't have cared.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts