Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Okay guys; food for thought

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Goodmorning everybody.
I was thinking about the position of my airfilter... Original Ford has placed it on the very left side, connected with long hoses... Because I do have an LPG injection, I do have a K&N filter straight at the throttle box... When my engine is at temperature, the ride is fine.. when in front of a trafficlight it nearly stalls after two minutes or so.. In the lowermaanifold is a inlet air temp sensor situated... when standing still at idle or engine shut down for a couple of minutes, The incoming air shall be very hot... Is it possible that the computer adjust it's fuel to that hot incoming air for a minute, thus that thhe mix is completely leaned out?
I would like it if on of you would be so kind to advice me.. common sense says to me, that the bloke who placed the LPG , made a mistake. for the Ampco LPG's a long hose is brought as fas as possible to the front to get fresh, cold air.

best regards Ton

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Hi Aussie:)
the engine has to start and to warm up to 80deg Fahrenheit coolanttemperature. Then it switches automatically to LPG. Because it is injection, it is impossible to start on LPG directly. the LPG computer changes info with the EEC IV. This one "thinks"that the engine gets gasoline, but in fact the LPG computer calculates how much LPG compare to gas is and inject this in the 8 ports of the lower manifold.

The system is made in our country and it is a Prins/Keihin LPI.
I do have a laptopprogram to tune the system...Last week I aquired an Air/fuelratio gauge, which is in fact a single O2 sensor with a gauge which operates outside the system. On the gauge one can see if the injection is to lean or to rich and then a good tuning is possible. While driving it's possible to interfere in the sys.

best regards Ton

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Goodmorning Andy:)
This is a very reliable system; when warm, the engine starts immediately and my truck does 11MPG; not bad for a 5,8l!
this type of engine will not run on a conventional LPGset, the ignitiontiming went bananas with that one! That's because an injection operated engine needs an injection LPGsystem.
there was a time, that LPI didn't exist... an Ampco300 with a device called Suprafix. This device "lied"to the EEC IV, but because the LPGgas came from "outside" thus it was totally not integrated in the truck's system and strange things like conrodbearingdamage, tranny's who shifted at strange times and who gave up after some years... suprafix disappeared from the market... then came Prins and Vialle with injection as a solution.. to be clear to you, An engine, designed to run on gas, runs at it's best at gasoline.... LPG is a way to drive cheap... It's not perfekt; even the Ford focus on LPI has it's hiccups and dips sometimes.. LPG cost us 2 US Dollar a gallon (compare to gasoline 5,2 US Dollar/gal) so, we do take some minor things on that system for granted..
Our Gov. puts a lot of roadtax on LPG driven cars, but because I run a business, tax is very cheap, otherwise I couldn't affort it. A lot of people (with small cars) sees us as "antisocial" ,because we do drive a truck, SUV , RAV .. In Amsterdamcity we are not allowed to drive there... Strange world;strange times....
Best regards for you.
Ton

Ford Truck Articles