Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

OK, How do you REALLY adjust a door?

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
As usual, Haynes makes it look sooo simple. I could use your help again, guys. The driver's side door is 3/4" low on the latch side. How does one reach the rearward 2 bolts on the body side of the hinge to adjust? Remove the door? Remove the fender? Say "screw it" and take it to a body shop?? [confused]

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Find a buddy with a forklift. Use it to hold the door while you unbolt the hinges and install new pins.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
yes, it's a two man job unless you can rig up something that can support the door in place which will allow you to free up your hands to work and make the adjustments. Doors can be easy or hard to do, but mostly a PITA. Same for the hood! make reference marks for a starting point, it will help a lot, BTDT

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I agree it is a art. 99% of the time I can get them perfect. The other 1% makes you want to say bad words.
I have put on a bunch of doors a extra set of hand helps so much even more so on the huge doors on some of the 70's cars.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Just hang with ratchet strap from garage door track (or what ever) can . Easy dont even have to un hook wires tho it helps. trace outside door/side hinge with sharpy remove 4 bolts them get at other ones on cowl side. Move same amounts rtill get right .. 3/4 in sounds like bad pins. I get at them with shorty wrench > Take me hour a side for pins and adjustment . But I have done bunches.

Make sure you hinges r not worn in holes pin passes in.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Got 30 seconds? Get a junk socket (I actually have a tool made specially for this). A short 11/16 is about the right length. Place the socket in the lower hinge between the flange of the "door side", and the body side. Carefully (or suffer pinched fingers) close the door on the socket. Do this a couple of times, checking as you go, until the lock plate hits in the right place.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
...A short 11/16 is about the right length. Place the socket in the lower hinge between the flange of the "door side", and the body side. Carefully (or suffer pinched fingers) close the door on the socket. Do this a couple of times, checking as you go, until the lock plate hits in the right place.

I like the sound of this...but it sounds as if something is going to bend...or is that the idea?

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Thanks forthe suggestions and solutions. "A stack of tires...a ratchet strap...a dude with a hi-lo." All sound good to support the door once the bolts are loose. "Mark the hinge location, close the door on a 11/16 socket, replace the pins." More good ideas. Meanwhile, the job ain't done cuz I'm still not sure if the door has to be removed to access the hinge bolts. The space between the fender and the door leaves a bit of off-centered access to the two forward bolts on the upper hinge cowl-side when the door is fully opened...is this the key? Am I just not getting it, or does is seem as if I'm asking someone to hold my hand here?!
If I replace the pins, how are they removed...they seem pressed in: is that correct? I could grind one end off and drive them out...then, to secure the new pin in place...uhmmmmm. Sheesh...I'm really not as inept with a wrench as this sounds...honest!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I did mine with the hinges still mounted to the cab and door respectively. I then used a sawzall to cut the old pins out. You're right, the pins are pressed in and permanently secured. The new pins should have an e-clip to hold it in. No, you're not getting your hand held. Asking questions is what a forum is for.

Ford Truck Articles