Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

OJ wont start.

primetime

sawmill slave
My uncle has an 87 Bronco (white, so he calls it OJ). 302 efi, c-6. It quit while going down the road one day. It doesn`t have spark or fuel pumps.

I checked relays. They have battery power, but no key on power. So I started checking wiring. I found, breaks and corrosion on eec grounds at battery, break and corrosion on small yellow wire running across core support, corroded solder repair on STI wire, a red/blue wire on the computer connector that was corroded, a wtf scotch lock on the red/blue going to starter relay, and a corroded fusible link at the main harness going into the firewall.

I repaired all of that, and still no key on power at the relays. It was at this point the battery went dead, and I could not remember how to do a self test.

I`ve relearned the self test procedure and figured out which wires to check for power and ground at the computer, and I`ll be going back over tomorrow or Monday, so I`m open to ideas or suggestions as to something I may have missed.

primetime

sawmill slave
All righty, so I finally got back over there today. Got it running too. The problem? The white/light blue that supplies key on power to the EEC relay had a break between the fusible link and the wiring connector.

And just to put this out there, alot of what I fixed before was where people had pierced wires checking them for power and what not. The lesson? Don`t pierce wires, It`ll cause problems down the road.

I told him when he was thinking about buying this truck not to because in the past, any time I`d laid eyes on it, it was getting worked on. He`s had nothing but problems with it. And judging by some of the repairs I`ve laid eyes on (and fixed today), he`s going to have more.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles