Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil pressure

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Evey sience i got my truck it has had "lower than normal" oil pressure (it has always been on the "N")..... well when I went to start my truck today it was ALMOST ON THE RED!!! So i started to freak out thinkin my oil pump went out!! Well i was talking to my cuz (mike) and we both decided that i should start with changing the sending unit. So i went and bought the 7 dollar part (had a hell of a time installing it...because everything was so damn HOT) but i got it all done and went to start the truck and a miracle occured..... MY OIL PRESSURE IS NOW ALL THE WAY ON THE "M".....which is awseome (for 166K)
So anyways that has to be the best 7 bucks i EVER spent!!! :):) :)

Attachments

• oil press.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Nice! That's right about where mine settles out when the truck is up to running temp. Right between the M and the A.

mine's at a steady L, but doesn't the stock gauge mean nothing. if the pressure is above 7 or something, doesn't it just go to wherever it pleases? it doesn't move up/down.

i always thought that if it sat on the N, M, or L, all could mean the same thing, it's just a difference in the way the gauge/sending unit from each truck.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
mine's at a steady L, but doesn't the stock gauge mean nothing. if the pressure is above 7 or something, doesn't it just go to wherever it pleases? it doesn't move up/down.

i always thought that if it sat on the N, M, or L, all could mean the same thing, it's just a difference in the way the gauge/sending unit from each truck.
This is what I have always been told but I'm not sure if its totally true... After trying synthetic mobil1 oil, my gauge has shown a noticeably higher oil pressure... Even after I stopped using the stuff :(

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen

This is my view of the matter, mine used to be below N. Disconnected it and went with a mechanical and my oil pressure is fine.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
This is my view of the matter, mine used to be below N. Disconnected it and went with a mechanical and my oil pressure is fine.

Ya I bet you had a bed sending unit too!! These stock gauges are pretty accurate!!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
You might not have needed the part either....most times it's a bad ground on the sending unit....mechanical is the way to go though...mine runs 65 lbs.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
yepp ive been told they switch on over 7psi or so.. they dont mesure accurat becuase it would go up and down when you drive... want a accurate reading get an mechanical aftermarket guage..

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
yepp ive been told they switch on over 7psi or so.. they dont mesure accurat becuase it would go up and down when you drive... want a accurate reading get an mechanical aftermarket guage..

I dont 100% agree with that because my buddy has the same truck as me and his rear main leaks (bad) and he knows when its like 2 quarts low because it will run near the "n" so he knows when to add oil!! LOL then he adds oil and its right back up to the "m"

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts