Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

not starting sugestions required

as title says my 4.9 EFI won't start it cranks but that's it, checked following:

fuel and eec relays, fuel relay gets no power at coil nor click when turning over the engine with a socket

ecm: doesn't smell burned nor has any marks in it.

get's no spark at spark plug, not from the coil nothing,

checked coil for 12v: ok checked coil with test light: looks ok

tested the upper wire from the icm with key on 12v with cranking engine 12/5V

ordered icm and new coil and new distributer pickup coil, in order of waiting the arriving , what else should i look for?

Last edited:
My mom's Eagle Talon wouldn't always start or wouldn't run for long and it was the ECM, but the coils clicked.
Did any wires come loose possibly? Or is there a possible issue with the power supply?

primetime

sawmill slave
The relays have to have 12v constant, and key on power. The fuel pump relay gets it`s key on power from the EEC relay, so make sure that one has both. Wiring issues are not uncommon in these trucks, so start there.

haven't received the parts yet but tried something to find out what the eec says: when i turn the key to run it hast the check engine light+engine+battery light on these stay on and even after 2 minutes it doesn't start flashing at all (btw grounded the self test plug)
any ideas on this really need it to get running again...

update: did another test on the self test plug, fuel pump test: not working: if i put direct power to the output of the eec for the fuel pump the fuel pump works (could this be ICM or is the EEC not getting power (where to find this) or EEC fried? )
checked all fusible links on the starter relay, on the eec relays, and on at that side of the car that i could find all were good???

Last edited:
update:

checked eec relay again: it works fine but it gets no power to its contacts, which one should have? and where is the fuse searched the whole car and couldn't find a blown one: if i power it directly with a jumper wire it works...

almost there one quick question

so i found out the always hot cable on the EEC relay isn't 'hot' :p now the question is are there any other things connected to this cable? if not can i just put a new 2.5mm² cable with a fuse (which one? 15 or 20amp?) directly to the relay?

update:

i got a new wire to the hot side of the eec relay (15amps fuse)
truck is running but it has a terrible miss or something at +2000rpm, the rpm wil drop almost500 and you hear in the exhaust that it feels like the engine shoots

I had the same problem with mine It was actually the pick up in Distributor. The modual was good coil was good If you are not getting intermitent spark from one side of your coil with a test light when cranking the engine and your plugs are not getting wet from your injectors then thats what what I would suggest Good luck J.T.

update:
truck runs, redid the whole distributor, set the spark timing, only problem now: idle is 500rpm and then it feels like getting a small miss sometimes, no other rpm are affected

Update

the car gave with a bang yesterday on the highway, speed was +-55mph 2800rpm, then bang, nothing, tried to restart on the side of the street, nothing, had to take it home on a towtruck, seems like distributor isn't turning anymore, had distributor of, it is in overall good condition but the distr drive gear in the engine isn't turning, haven't turned the engine by hand yet but at the sound of the starter it looks like it lost compression so i guess the timing gear broke and the valves are broke aswell, will have a look in one of the coming weeks.

should i drop in a V8 or look for a remanufactured 6 inline from rockauto?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
should i drop in a V8 or look for a remanufactured 6 inline from rockauto?

The inline 6 is hard to beat for relaibilty and tourqe. Plus they are usually pretty hard to destroy

But a v8 has more potential to be a hot rod, if that's what your after.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts