Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Not getting spark.

Gonna try and see if this is something I can fix myself.

Engine turns over, gets fuel, but there is no spark. This happens intermittenly and the truck will run a few days then not want to start for a few days.

No CEL, all wires are connected to the "distributor." Doing nothing it may start running fine in a few days.

Is a 93 with the 2.3 4 banger with 8 plugs.

Has decided to run the last 2 days just fine.

Now off to learn how to reach the coil...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The coil pack is that thing you're calling the distributor.

I think there are actually two units, right next to each other.

The coil pack is that thing you're calling the distributor.

I think there are actually two units, right next to each other.

I knew it had a distributorless ignition, but the short name escaped me at the moment.

Now do you mean 2 separate coils? or two sets of wires running off of 1 coil? There are 2 boxes with plug wires coming from them, one for driver side, other for passenger side.
I have heard that it was the latter. Will be tinkering tomorrow, worked all day today and not in the best of conditions for physical work.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My understanding is that each bank of cylinders has it's own coil pack. All I ever did on mine was replace plug wires, though, so I can't be sure.

*In light of this, I think the truck should actually run with one failed coil pack...I'm drawing a blank right now on how that engine knows where it's at (cam position sensor?), but I'd be inclined to look that way rather than at the coils, now that I'm thinking about it.

Drivers side spark plugs fire on the exhaust stroke to burn off any unused fuel. So if that bank failed, the engine SHOULD still run. But doing some reading the cam sensor won't allow the engine to run should 1 coil fail.

OK, pulled both coil packs, 1 looks fine. The other seems to have a spot that looks and feels like ashes that is boring a hole into the pack....

Might as well replace both and hope that fixes the issue. And grab some new plugs and wires while I'm at it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts