Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Noob, with my first Ford, couple questions

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
Well I have been a chevy man all my life, but the Airforce is moving me to St.Louis so I figured I needed a 3/4 ton with 4 wheel drive to get me through the pass's (I live in washington state and will be moving in January).

I find I am very foreign under the hood of this thing, here is my truck, I dont know much about it at all, 1988 f250 with the 460 in it.

I will be pulling a 24 foot car hauler, I already installed top of the line brake control unit. I weighed in empty at 9000 pounds trailer and truck.

The truck has 94,000 miles on it, I just put new tires on her to.
For my questions,
I am not a lead foot by anymeans, and I am getting 5.5 to 6 mpg. I know how to drive a big block, I had a 454 for my last truck and could get 11 all the time out of it. My Truck starts everytime, no smoke or anything. This is my second filling of both tanks and I have been keeping my foot out of the throttle to try to get 10 or so, but not even close.

When pulling trailer (Loaded) if I hit the gas the motor seems to loose power at one point briefly (kind of like a carbed motor when not synced properly between jets), but this is fuel injected right?

I really feel this thing should have more power I am having a hard time getting up to speed on level terrain, with about 6000 or 7000 lbs in the trailer.

I am new to fords so any help would be appreciated. My buddy is a ford guy has a frame up restored high boy (gorgeous truck), he is telling me exhaust needs to go, what should I go to? I am beyond having to get emissions on the truck.

Other than that its just a few small things, fuel gauge jumps all over, radio is crap. But interior is in great shape, only a spot or two of surface rust on the truck.

Sorry so long, looking for some help on my first Ford,

Thanks
Jerome

blacksnapon

Staff member
First off, Welcome to the site! The 460 never has been known for fuel mileage. It at times can be quite frightful (most winnebago type vehicles get about 4-5 mpg). Just make sure the timing is correct and all maintenance is current on it. The power can also be related to rear end gearing.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Welcome to the site. I'm not going to be much help, but have you pulled any codes from the computer? And OBD I system is like $25 at the auto parts store and you can identify any of the stored codes within the computer. It will give you an idea of what your sensors are reading if it is lean/rich. Sounds like your timing may be an issue, but I'm not as good as some of these guys.

Ryan

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
Welcome to the site. I'm not going to be much help, but have you pulled any codes from the computer? And OBD I system is like $25 at the auto parts store and you can identify any of the stored codes within the computer. It will give you an idea of what your sensors are reading if it is lean/rich. Sounds like your timing may be an issue, but I'm not as good as some of these guys.

Ryan

Thats a good lead I will go pick one up right now, where do they plug in on Fords? I looked under the steering column but did not see a plug for it?
Thanks, sounds like this guy is going to get a full set plugs, wires, filters, etc, all fluid flushed etc.

The guy who said to ditch the exhaust is right. Chop it and straight pipe it and it will get better mileage and sound better too.

FYI.. The computer test connector is under the hood on the passenger side inner fender. See this site... www.fordfuelinjection.com for code definitions

selftest02.gif
selftest04.gif

Last edited:

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
The guy who said to ditch the exhaust is right. Chop it and straight pipe it and it will get better mileage and sound better too.

Do I need to do anything if I chop the exhaust, I am all for it, will it read any codes that I should be aware of, or do i need to update anything to compensate for the loss of back pressure?

Thanks for the quick responses on my way to the auto store.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Do I need to do anything if I chop the exhaust, I am all for it, will it read any codes that I should be aware of, or do i need to update anything to compensate for the loss of back pressure?

You might go to the muffler shop and have a dual exhaust setup put on. The 460 is too noisy to just straight pipe it. There are several free flow mufflers on the market.

Does the Gen8 have the O2 sensor in the Cat? I dont think so, so you could probably just cut it off and not have to worry, but I would wait for someone to back me up on that one.

how fast are you going? i had a 460 and at 65 i'd get about 12 mpg. once i got to 70 it went to about 10. much higher and i cried.

this was a 97 supercab 4x2 with no load.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
get a single 3" exhuast.. or duals wich ever you like.. chek for codes first.. give it a good tune up... cap rotor wires plugs o2 sensors
chek fuel pressure at rail your FPR is maybe bad and giving you bad mileage..

really helps to get a haynes manual :)

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
how fast are you going? i had a 460 and at 65 i'd get about 12 mpg. once i got to 70 it went to about 10. much higher and i cried.

this was a 97 supercab 4x2 with no load.

I wish I could get up to 65! Last night was the first night pulling, I did a test pull to get my weight distribution bars set correctly, and my anti sway bar and check the load to see if I need to shift weight around. I got it up to 55, but I know kidding had to smash the gas to get it there, once it got there it stayed easily, but it no kidding took forever to get to 55. I wasnt comfortable going faster than that until all prelim checks were done on the trailer. My concern is 1800 miles, through the pass's with this truck. Thanks for all the info thus far.

get a single 3" exhuast.. or duals wich ever you like.. chek for codes first.. give it a good tune up... cap rotor wires plugs o2 sensors
chek fuel pressure at rail your FPR is maybe bad and giving you bad mileage..

really helps to get a haynes manual :)

I have the Haynes manual and it has never really helped me, haynes sucks. Chiltons. YelloThumbUp

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
Alright ran the codes, got a code 11 (system pass) then the long pause into memory codes and got a code 34, maybe a little help on that one,

Says EGR Valve position, sensor or pressure feedback EGR(PFE) sensor:signal voltage out of self-test specification limits, OR, signal voltae above closed limit during normal engine run, OR, signal indicates insufficient EGR flow.

Since it didnt bring that code in the beginning i assume that its ok? Any help, thanks again guys,

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I get 8 mpg on the F450 460 4x4 I'm running . With about 1200 lbs of dump bed on back . Plus the wind shear .Even with low gears all the 460 we get r done around 60 ish . But will pull fine at low rpms.

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
Also, Can I do the exhaust my self? Or is that a pain in the butt? If so, any recommendations or links would be appreciated, I would say I can spend up to 4 or 500 if that is feasible, there are just so many options on the web I was looking at, one in one out, cat back, stainless, etc, etc.
I have never done an exhaust but if I can buy a kit that will bolt up and its not very difficult then I am all for it, if not I will go to a shop.
Thanks again, I really am liking this truck hopefully I can get it up to par, if I can get 10 mpg empty I will be a happy camper,

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Take it into a shop would be easiest, if you must, get a cat, a single exhaust will be cheapest, have it go out before the rear tires, or just dump it before the rear axle. I did the dump before the rear axle, headers back, 2 glass packs cost me 250 bucks...
That was with a 30 dollar tip too.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts