Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Newest addition to the garage: SCS!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
There is no such thing as a factory extendable step bumper for any 1973/79 F Series truck.

If such a thing is present, it's an aftermarket bumper. Look in the '73/79 truck parts catalog for a listing for an extendable bumper...lotsa luck.

And...since all rear bumpers were optional, the SCS was also available with the contoured chrome rear bumper.

While the F350's on the 140" wheelbase used a specific step bumper (which, btw...this truck has), only the inner brackets (D3TZ17787E-right/D3TZ17788E-left) are specific to it.

The outer brackets (D3TZ17795C-right/D3TZ17796C) fit other F250/350's, some w/o a step bumper. Look in the parts catalog for the applications.

Since these brackets bolt to the bumper, then to the frame rails, how can they extend?

They cannot, it's as simple as that.

Notice the bumper is sagging...this is typical as the original brackets were weak sisters. It didn't take more than a tap to have them sag.

And, the 1973/79 tailgate is the same, only the trim is different. Replacement sheet metal (fenders, hoods, tailgates, etc) did not come with emblem and/or moulding holes punched out.

Didn't come with the trim/emblems, either...all was sold by itself.

Last edited:
scan0037.jpg

scan0038.jpg

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
What is this step bumper application for, kiddo...all F350's?

No...see what is sez...

USE WITH DEALER INSTALLED OPEN ROAD CAMPER ONLY.

How many SCS's were sold with this overhead camper? Prolly less than 10%.

This was the so-called factory camper (actually made by Open Road) which was only offered 1973/76...cancelled after 1976 cuz it was overpriced and didn't sell worth a hoot.

Last edited:

Stoner Dan

California Chapter member
@74: you serious about the swap? I have an extra set of caps, so I'd be more than willing to trade the good set for those factory horns.

@BKW: that's good knowledge--I didn't realize the sliding bumper was optional. So, were those available from the dealer when you ordered the truck and did they come from Ford? I found a shot of this one where you can see the one I'm looking for...

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg

Stoner Dan

California Chapter member
I just scored one of these myself. Will have pics up soon. If you were closer I would swap bumpers with ya, mine still has the original.

Looking forward to seeing pics of yours, tank! And do you have a pic of that bumper?

kinda disapointed it aint a factory piece I thought it was but yes I will have a pic of the bumper and brackets. Maybe some one has some more info on it. Am planning to take the bumper and the side ties downs off and put a bumper simular to yours on mine. Will probly put these parts in the shop for awhile.

Ford Truck Articles