Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New To Fords

Hi to all you “fanatics”!

I'm a brand new member, and having only owned my first ever Ford truck for two weeks, I'm not yet ready to call myself a Ford fanatic.

My last PU was a 1996 Chevy K1500, 4X4 with the 5.7L Vortec. I hauled a heavy slide-in camper, and with modifications to the suspension, it served me well for the past six years. However, my plans changed and I wanted to pull a 10X6 cargo trailer behind with an ATV and other stuff inside the trailer. Due to the overhang of my camper, it would have required a 48” hitch extension. Since I was already outside the envelope with my half ton and a proper hitch extension was not available for the K1500, I decide to get a ¾ ton PU. What I bought was a 1999 F250, XLT Super Duty with the 6.8L Triton V10 engine with 89K miles, and it already has air bags. It was a one owner and kept in a garage when not in use.

I had the stock Ford hitch replaced with a Torklift Super Truss hitch with double receivers to accommodate the Super Truss extension for towing my trailer. Anyways, what might I expect in the way of towing, handling, mpg, power on hills and etc.? Are there mods available that will improve the fuel consumption on the V10? It seems to have plenty of power. Are there things in general I should be aware of or do with this truck before I load up and hit the road ?

Thanks,
Cap'n Bob

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts