Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Injectors - Now I have Increased Fuel Dilution in Oil!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
As many of you know, I have always taken Blackstone Oil analysis tests of my motor for many years. I do not do it every oil change, but every 2nd or 3rd time due to not having any issues since I bought the truck brand new.

Last fall, I had all 8 injectors replaced at the dealer due the fact that they were getting weak and I had a loss of power and "bucking/jerking" when climbing hills... especially when cold outside.

Before my injector swap, my fuel dilution was anywhere from a "trace" to 1% to a high 2% (only one time did I have 2% back in 2006).

With 11,000 miles on my new injectors, this was my second oil change and I sent a sample into Blackstone... and my fuel dilution was 2.5%!!!! They stated that this was not good and the highest reading I had ever had. As well, I had driven my truck before changing the oil, so it is not like I started it up and let it idle before changing it... it was driven for 45mins while getting fresh oil at Walmart... so it was driven at highway speeds and hot.

Besides hooking up the Ford/dealer computer to my truck, what other test can they do to check for leaks, seals, gaskets and the like before I run out of warrenty (12,000 miles or 12 months)... I have 1,000 miles to go, so I need to have them do this "check/test" correctly the first time!!!!

I am sure the "computer" will show all injectors as working just fine.. so how do they test for gasket/fuel leakage? Is there a PDF file or TSB or something any of you can reference or send me?

Thanks,

Jeff

blacksnapon

Staff member
About the only way to look for a leak is to put dye in the secondary fuel filter housing, remove valve covers, then stick paper towels in the oil drain holes at each injector. Then using the IDS (or similar tool) power up the fuel pump, then using a blacklight, look for any leaks. Done that many times when the 6.0 was new.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
About the only way to look for a leak is to put dye in the secondary fuel filter housing, remove valve covers, then stick paper towels in the oil drain holes at each injector. Then using the IDS (or similar tool) power up the fuel pump, then using a blacklight, look for any leaks. Done that many times when the 6.0 was new.

Is this a Ford approved technique that is written in a Ford service manual that I can reference? Not sure if my mechanic will automatically do this test or technique unless it is written about or a Ford Authorized "test"?

Any information that you can send me or refer me to (so I can give him some Ford tech bulletin to look up).. will help me make my case.

Thanks,

blacksnapon

Staff member
TSB
04-9-3 DRIVEABILITY - RUNS ROUGH AND/OR LOW POWER - 6.0L DIESEL ENGINE ONLY
ENGINE - FUEL IN OIL - 6.0L DIESEL - INJECTOR DIAGNOSTICS

Publication Date: April 30, 2004

FORD: 2003-2004 EXCURSION, F SUPER DUTY
2004 ECONOLINE

This article supersedes TSB 03-14-6 to update the vehicle lines, model years and service procedure.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles equipped with the 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit engine oil diluted with fuel (OIL LEVEL MAY APPEAR OVER FULL), runs rough and/or a low power condition.

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove and clean dipstick. Reinsert into dipstick tube only until dipstick handle reaches top of dipstick tube. Remove the dipstick and inspect indicator area.

If oil level is below the MAX mark, oil is not overfull. Verify latest calibration and go to PCED diagnosis for runs rough, and/or low power condition. Do not continue with this TSB.

If oil is above MAX mark , remove the oil pan drain plug and drain oil (including oil filter housing). LEAVE THE PLUG OUT DO NOT ADD ANY OIL AT THIS TIME. Proceed to Step 2.

Inspect turbocharger per section 303-04D of Workshop Manual to verify that the turbocharger was not damaged by oil dilution.
Add ONE (1) ounce of ultra violet (UV) oil dye (compatible with diesel engines) to fuel filter housing.
NOTE: STEPS 4-6 WILL NEED TO BE REPEATED FOR LEFT BANK.

Block the fuel line to the left head at the secondary fuel filter housing.
Remove the left bank fuel line from the connection point at the secondary fuel filter housing.
Remove the brass adaptor screwed into the filter housing.
Remove the fuel pressure test port plug from the front of the secondary fuel filter housing.
Install the plug in the left bank outlet port.
Install fuel pressure adaptor (#303-765) and fuel pressure gage at test port (used to confirm constant pressure).

Turn on fuel pump using WDS "Active Commands".
NOTE: DTCS MAY BE SET IN THE PCM BY USING ACTIVE COMMANDS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DIAGNOSE DTCS SET DURING ACTIVE COMMANDS.

Visually inspect oil pan drain hole for fuel dye using ultra-violet (black) light.
If no dye is observed within a ten (10) minute period proceed to checking opposite bank fuel components. If both sides do not leak after ten (10) minutes, change oil and filter and continue with normal diagnosis for overfilled crankcase condition. Do not proceed with this TSB.
If fuel dye is observed, turn off fuel pump, suspect a fuel leak on that bank (or banks), and continue performing TSB.
Remove appropriate valve cover(s).
Check for loose injector end clamp hold-down bolts by verifying proper torque per Workshop Manual Section 303-04D.
If all are within specification, proceed to Step 9.
If loose injector(s) end clamp bolt(s) are found perform the following, then proceed to Step 9:
Remove loose injector(s).
Inspect the injector body, injector body O-rings, and copper combustion seal at the injector tip for damage.
Replace damaged components as necessary.
CAUTION: REMOVAL AND/OR INSTALLATION OF AN INJECTOR SHOULD ONLY BE PERFORMED WITH HAND TOOLS. USE OF AIR/POWER TOOLS WILL DAMAGE INJECTOR O-RINGS.

Turn fuel pump on. Use ultra-violet light to inspect fuel system components in head(s) for leakage. Repair as necessary.
NOTE: VISUALLY INSPECT FOR A STEADY FLOW OR AN EVIDENT DYE TRAIL OR PUDDLE WITH A PATH LEADING TO THE OIL DRAIN-BACKS. TRACE AMOUNTS OF DYE AT FUEL INJECTOR WEEP-HOLE AREAS ARE NORMAL.

Following any repair, clean the top of the head with brake cleaner and dry thoroughly, especially on the down-side of the injectors. Turn the fuel pump on and retest fuel components for leaks.
Check the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) for fuel and/or oil. Clean the CAC and dry with shop air thoroughly before reinstalling.
Reinstall oil pan drain plug, refill with new engine oil and install new oil filter.
Road test twenty (20) miles.
Change engine oil and oil filter again.
Once the oil is drained, run the fuel pump with WDS.
Final Repair Verification - Watch for fuel at the drain (ten (10) min/max.) Return to Step 2 if any fuel is observed.
Clear DTCs set during Output State Control of fuel pump or other actuators.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3C3Z-9E527-AE Injector 2003
4C3Z-9E527-AA Injector 2004
3C3Z-9229-AA O-Ring Kit

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2004 Ford Motor Company

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Jeff, sounds like with only 1000 miles left, it means you just need to hurry and get it to Sellers Sexton before you run out of miles. :wasntme:

Any update Jeff?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Any update Jeff?

Yep - sorry for the delay in posting.

I took a copy of my Blackstone oil reports and the Ford TSB for fuel dilution to my local Ford dealer that I frequent and use (and did the injector replacement).

They checked that my computer was up to date (which it was) and they called the Ford "tech hotline". The hotline stated that doing the TSB would be the thing to do, but Ford nor the dealer would pay for it (unless a fuel leakage/dilution was found)... so basically I would pay for 1/2 for the piece of mind is what we negotiated.

I paid $300 for their labor to run the test and to do an oil and filter change (my mechanic did a fuel filter change at no-charge for me...so that saved me time and money).

I pulled a sample of oil (which only had 1,200 miles on it) before the fuel dilution test... and no UV dye leakage was found... so no leak... or it is so minor, it did not show up?

I sent the oil sample in and Blackstone stated that after 1,200 miles on the new oil (I had just changed my oil before doing the test which is where the high fuel dilution number came from and why we were doing the test)... and it came back NORMAL (<.5%)!!!!

Now, obviously I feel good about this low number (<.5%) and hope that after 1,200 miles it does not grow to 2.5% as it did after 5,000 miles previously... so maybe it was just a "fluke test result"?????

So... for $300 I have a piece of mind that my injectors were tested, a second oil sample was pulled and tested and my oil and fuel filters changed... now to see what my analysis will show in 5,000 miles.

If it comes back good great..... if it comes back bad, I am not sure... as the dealer would say "we tested, you had one good anlaysis... and now this".... and I would understand where they are coming from.

Thanks,

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
HoPefully it keeps on working for you and it is good to see that the dealership worked with you and you came to a nice compromise. At least everyone can go home happy. Keep us updated.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If it does come back as a bad test this next time around, I guess you can just remind them that the first test was on really fresh oil.

More importantly, hopefully it's fixed now.

Maybe when the injectors were installed they reset the computer and it relearned how much fuel to use?

Ryan

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Well guys... here is an update!!

My latest Blackstone report came back 100% perfect.

It appreas that the high fuel dilution (after new injectors were installed) was a short-term thing... and no injector problems were found after the dealer tested... and after going a full 5,000 miles on fresh oil (after they checked for fuel leaking)... my Blackstone report came back perfect!!!!

Blackstone even stated that it appears that dealer waved their "magic wand" over my motor and all is well."

WooHoo - all is well with 200,000 miles on the Excursion.

Now have 200,300 miles on my truck as of 10/24/11.

Thanks,

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
It's pretty amazing your oil is still coming back that good after 200,000.

Ryan

My wear indicators are normal and almost non-existent.

Every aspect of my oil analysis is "perfect" and wearing normal.

As usual, only the viscosity was sheared down... but every oil does that in the 6.0L... and is the reason why I change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles whether it needs it or not.

I use Blackstone oil analysis to monitor the condition of my oil.... not to extend its use or mileage.

Here is what Blackstone wrote on my most current analysis:

JEFF: Thanks for the note. You said the dealer was checking for an injector leak. You didn't say if they found anything or not, but if they had you probably would have told us. Mysteriously, the fuel is still gone. We don't know if they made a slight adjustment somewhere or maybe they waved a magic wand over your Excursion, but the fuel is gone now and hopefully it will stay that way. The viscosity read low, as usual, and as you know this is not a problem. Wear looks as good as ever. Although the fuel was a nuisance, it didn't hurt anything. This engine looks terrific!

Thanks,

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles