Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

needing dentside wire diagram for gas gauge and sending unit

Quoted from the 1978 F-150 owner's manual(page 9): " On vehicles equipped with dual fuel tanks, the "MAIN" position supplies fuel to the engine from the midship fuel tank.??????????

Yes, that is what mine does. When its switched to "main" on the switch it uses fuel from the midship/front plastic tank along the frame rails,closest to the cab.

Last edited:
Yes, thats the one. Do u happen to have the sending unit out of the tank in your gallery? just wondering. I have now found out that my rear tank(main tank) needs repair, it leaks

Any good products to use for small leaks? I know there are a few made

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes, thats the one. Do u happen to have the sending unit out of the tank in your gallery? just wondering. I have now found out that my rear tank needs repair, leaks

The sending unit in my gallery is the one from the rear tank. I couldn't get the sending unit to read. It was just the float, though. The sending unit for the plastic tank was reinstalled in the plastic tank and put back in place. The only reason I pulled the plastic tank was to get the shroud around the tank rebuilt. It was almost gone, and the shroud is the only thing that holds the tank in place. Ford had installed foam rubber in the bottom of the shroud to cushion the tank, but it also retained moisture really well. I have yet to see one of those shrouds that aren't all but rusted through.

Last edited:
The sending unit in my gallery is the one from the rear tank. I couldn't get the sending unit to read. It was just the float, though. The sending unit for the plastic tank was reinstalled in the plastic tank and put back in place. The only reason I pulled the plastic tank was to get the shroud around the tank rebuilt. It was almost gone, and the shroud is the only thing that holds the tank in place. Ford had installed foam rubber in the bottom of the shroud to cushion the tank, but it also retained moisture really well. I have yet to see one of those shrouds that are all but rusted through.

Yep, explains why mine only has straps. someone must have put on straps to hold mine up, my shroud was probably rusted away.

Any ideas on where to find the sending unit I'm needing, Dennis gave me the number, but I've looked and looked with no luck.

thanks

Last edited:
These people have 22 of them

CollectorsAutoSupply.com
OROVILLE, WA 98844
Dealer Website
Updated Mar 15, 2011

copy paste this: D9TZ-9275-A on google and see all the choices

Mac's has them for $80.00

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks for all the help Dennis. Got the turn signal blinkers and the other illuminations that weren't working on the cluster by cleaning it up like you suggusted. Also got the aux tank registering on the gauge. I believe the main tank has been changed out for a plastic reproduction tank, I'm pretty sure the original was metal, atleast thats what most sale in the catalogs as oem replacements. I'd say that the sending unit in this tank is not the right ohms for the gauge, so I need the original type sending unit that would be in these.

I'm going to try to find a good working used sending unit for this main tank. If anybody has one laying around, let me know. I just dnt feel like sending $65 on a new chinese one.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-20334-sending-unit-side-mount-1977-79-4wd.html

This is a link for the sending unit for a 4WD midship plastic tank. $50. Not NOS, but it works.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
These people have 22 of them

CollectorsAutoSupply.com
OROVILLE, WA 98844
Dealer Website
Updated Mar 15, 2011

Everytime those guys say 22..there is typically none..just my experience.

I know,I love my supertuner and have 3 back ups in the garage.

That one in the dash cost me $85.00 at boxing week sale.

It originally sold for $349.95

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes, this one does work for the midship tank. If you look at the picture, the sending unit gas tube bends at a 90 deg angle, because the sending unit goes into the side of the tank. The sending unit for the rear tank drops straight down from the top, thus no 90 deg bend.

Yes, this one does work for the midship tank. If you look at the picture, the sending unit gas tube bends at a 90 deg angle, because the sending unit goes into the side of the tank. The sending unit for the rear tank drops straight down from the top, thus no 90 deg bend.

Ok, I havent taken mine out yet, so I didnt know exactly what it looked like. I may just buy the one from there then.

Thanks

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts