Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

need your advice plz

I have 225000 miles on my 1999 f150. As most of you already know, I was thinking about changing the timing chains and lifters;But I was wondering with that kind of mileage, Should I just rebuild it? I don't want to, just don't want to put all that time in and then have to tear it back down. :suspicious:

I thing I'll take your advice

Yes 5 run ok just a little lifter noise along with chain. Your most likely rite
and I just worry to much. I'll just do the chains and lifters. Thanks for your reply.smilieIagree smilieIagree

Put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and see what it is when warm at idle. If its good then it probably would be ok to do lifters and chains if not then it needs rebuilt. I learned the hard way after doing heads twice and still having lifter noise. I had mine rebuilt. The head shop told me most of the time it's not lifters its oil pressure related when they get noisy mine had 10lbs at idle witch is way too low. Just check it so you will know then you can get a better idea of the shape of your bottom end.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I would say, pick up a CHEAP mod motor outta a junk yard. Have it rebuilt on your own pace and $$. Then if this motor craps out...You have a drop in waiting. just my .02

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I will admit there was a learning curve, but I was building mods before building mods were cool..:cooldude: LOL

Looking back I should have rebuilt my engine and put all the pi stuff on then put it in the truck. But I got in a hurry and wanted to drive it I ended up having it sit for four months anyway while I figured out finances to have the engine rebuilt. I could have parked it sooner and continued driving my 83 Vic. That sounds like good advice! Probably will be cheaper too!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts