Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need some education.

primetime

sawmill slave
Okay, I stepped right into a good one this time. It`s an 89ish Ranger with a twin plug 2.3. It`s a racer in the four cylinder class at the local circle track. How the darn thing even runs is beyond me because it doesn`t have an O2 sensor, along with no intake air temp sensor.

Anyways, on to the problem. It`s not running as well as it was. It`s hard to start and when it does it ocassionally pops through the intake. It also doesn`t idle, but they`re telling me it never idled, so I`m not worried about that.

Now, if you disconnect the wiring to the coil on the exhaust side the truck won`t start at all. If you disconnect the coil on the intake side it makes no difference. After doing a TINY bit of reading tonight, I don`t know if this means anything. I do know that there is no spark at the plugs on the intake side, but I don`t know if there should be.

I do know that there is 12 volt power at the tan wires on the coil connector on the intake side, and all three wires have continuity to the connector itself. I pulled the SPOUT and that seemed to make no difference. I have not done a compression test or a fuel pressure test. They have changed coils on the intake side, and it made no difference.

I do know that it`s been apart, they`ve had three or four hacks working on it, it ran "right" and gradually got to where it is now, and that they called me because I`m "the Ford guy, he`ll know how to fix it", and they only call when they need something. I personnaly think the timing is off, or the engine is dying, but maybe I should do a fuel pressure test.

Holy long post batman. That`s a lot of rambling right there. Anyways, can anybody tell me what I should be looking for at the coil packs and plugs? Spark, power, stuff like that. Bounce some ideas off me, anything goes, just don`t me to pull codes. If it will even give them to me I doubt they`d apply. Thanks guys.

primetime

sawmill slave
Figured it out. put my fuel pressure gauge on it this morning. 10 psi. That`s when they told me they`ve had issues with it plugging the sock with little pieces of foam from inside the cell. Checked voltage anyways, then pulled the pump out. The short piece of hose between the pump and sending unit was coming apart and had a hole in it. Put it together with a new hose and sock and it ran like it was supposed to. Off to the races!

:post pics:

always wanted to see a racer ranger. (not a ricer ranger, too many of those.)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts