Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need help please w/400 for bronco

Here is my new to me motor. I am going to get some ford racing valve covers & am planning on a 4bbl intake. Should I just go with the Weiand Action Plus intake since it is cheapest? Was thinking about the edlebrock with the egr but not shure it is worth the extra money. What about a cam & lifter kit. Summit has 3 different ones that are right around $100 I am planning an a timing set to set cam tining straight up instead of retarded (since this is a Ford Factory reman I am shure they used a retarded set up) & since I am there maybe be worth the $100 for a cam set? Which one? This is going in my 78 bronco which will be used for offroading & daily driving probably going to use a holley Projection 4bbl unit I have on the shelf.
Thaks
John

New_motor_1.JPG

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
In my opinion you have made and excellent choice in retaining the 400 and choosing to modify it.

As far as what intake to use, there is no need for the Edelbrock Performer egr intake, the regular erg-less Edelbrock or the Weiand is a much better choice...........if you don't need the egr for emissions reasons. Rumor is the Weiand will breath a little better on the top end than the Eddy Preformer.

Concerning what to do for a cam, I went the Comp Cams K-kit route. These all inclusive kits include ALL that is needed for a complete valvetrain upgrade, new cam, timing set, lifters, and valve springs. I went with their 265Deh cam with good results. Many have choosen their 255Deh cam for milder idle and torque at a little lower rpm. ABSOLUTLY run the cam timing straight up!!!!!!!

Thanks I am definatly running the timing straight up but have a real limited budget so that is why I was looking at the summit cams. I am just looking for a good "rv" type with out needing to change springs & such. Hopefully a few years down the road I will do a complete re do on this with pistons & heads & much more.
John

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Then the 255Deh would be well suited for you, you can use the original 400 valve springs with it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
In my opinion you have made and excellent choice in retaining the 400 and choosing to modify it.

As far as what intake to use, there is no need for the Edelbrock Performer egr intake, the regular erg-less Edelbrock or the Weiand is a much better choice...........if you don't need the egr for emissions reasons. Rumor is the Weiand will breath a little better on the top end than the Eddy Preformer.

Concerning what to do for a cam, I went the Comp Cams K-kit route. These all inclusive kits include ALL that is needed for a complete valvetrain upgrade, new cam, timing set, lifters, and valve springs. I went with their 265Deh cam with good results. Many have choosen their 255Deh cam for milder idle and torque at a little lower rpm. ABSOLUTLY run the cam timing straight up!!!!!!!

Absolutely could not agree more. The Weiand does breathe a little better on the top end. But keep in mind how high you'll be revving as well. I like the Eddy 2171, and unless you have emissions restrictions, I wouldn't worry about the EGR. There's an intake comparison on TMI's website, and he's tests did in fact show the Eddy intake was overall better with his carb and cam choice. He felt a larger carb and hotter cam would better utilize the Weiand.

If it were me, and you're looking for a bargain cam, use the Comp DEH-255 as a template to match a similar profile. As Lee pointed out, you should only need the cam and lifters...and you'll be able to retain stock push rods, springs, spring retainers and valve locks.

As for straight up timing...that's a no brainer...definitely do it. Unless you get a timing set with your kit, I'd heavily suggest picking up a cloyes unit. I'd rather have a single non-roller cloyes than most other double rollers...that's purely based on product quality. I feel cloyes offers less chain stretch and the gear seems to be much sturdier and sustains less wear.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
BTW John, you might want to give Tim Meyer a call (TMI) you might be surprised at his parts prices and he will give you great advice as well.

BTW John, you might want to give Tim Meyer a call (TMI) you might be surprised at his parts prices and he will give you great advice as well.

I will. I was thinking of him for a build but budget is causing other plans. It is bad enough right now that I am thinking of just dropping it in stock with the 2bbl manifold & all.
John

John, I'm using the Comp 255DEH with the Edelbrock 2171 manifold and couldn't be happier and it pulls like a muther too.(478 ft/lbs@2900)

Fl.
hey John. Looks like some good information has already be said. pick from above for what fits the budget. You can go hyd roller real easy. the spider tray set up from a 351W works real good for holding the roller lifters in place.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts