Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need bracket to support back of original radio for a '78

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I need the back support bracket for an original radio out of a '78 F-150.
The bracket bolted onto the back of the radio, and went ...I don't remember where it went.

Does not have to be perfect, appearance wise, but does need to be straight. If you have one, PM me with a price. I will also pay shipping.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hi Doug,
I've seen people use "plumbers strap" for that brace. It almost looks like an original brace, and it has holes in the strapping so you have mounting points for the stud and nut. It is strong enough for a bracket, yet easy enough to bend and shape to configure.

:)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Hi Doug,
I've seen people use "plumbers strap" for that brace. It almost looks like an original brace, and it has holes in the strapping so you have mounting points for the stud and nut. It is strong enough for a bracket, yet easy enough to bend and shape to configure.

:)

I considered that, Roy, but I think it might be a little too pliable.

I was half expecting this request.
Check with Dennis, he might have one. I fabricated my own

How did you know? :wasntme: I'm afraid shipping from Canadia might be more than the part itself. I am not a metal fabricator, but I wish I was.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Never mind. I found both the mount for the radio/heater and the back support bracket on E-bay. Thanks for the suggestions.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That OEM bracket is the only way to go. I wasn't aware that they used a strap with holes Roy...are you sure it wasn't put in place by someone else?.

Plumber on a roll doesn't offer much support....it needs to be rigid to stop up and down motion.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
hahaha!! very true Mark.

Duncan, the strapping I saw was quite heavy gauge and you almost needed a pair of pliers to bend it. It wasn't the thin roll of strapping that I see on the job. But it looked the same as plumbers strapping. Must come in different gauges?

Great that you got the bracket Doug :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
hahaha!! very true Mark.

Duncan, the strapping I saw was quite heavy gauge and you almost needed a pair of pliers to bend it. It wasn't the thin roll of strapping that I see on the job. But it looked the same as plumbers strapping. Must come in different gauges?

Great that you got the bracket Doug :)

I kinda figured that...I know what you are talking about...they come in either aftermarket radios as part of the mounting solution...or you can buy it separately.

The point I was getting at was that I've never seen that stuff used in a factory installation....if it is there, it's probably from a previous aftermarket install as the factory brackets don't normally work for aftermarket radios.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I had to fabricate little hooks for my jack handle, so I could put it on my core support, like they were in 1978, but I couldn't get the little clamps from either LMC Truck, or even from Ford. So what I had done I had went to one of the local boat yards here in Ithaca , NY. and I had bought some hammock hooks that are used for boats for less than $3.00 per pack, and I had used them for those little clamps, all I did was drill four little holes in my core support, and screwed those hammock hooks to my core support, and then I had bent the little hooks out a little bit to fit my jack handle, and it fit beautifully like I had used OEM Ford parts. Well boat hardware got me the same result . Hopefully this helps others with the same problem that I had. smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

In 78, the jack crank handle was stored under the seat.
Why are you at the rad support?

I have grabbed all sorts of little parts from trucks over the years and probably have the hold down pieces.

Last edited:
The factory radio rear support was not holed strapping.
If was a special fabricated metal piece that reinforced itself by its design.Very rigid piece of metal.

One hole to hopefully guide that stud into.

I think i may have one or two in the garage.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts