Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Name That Engine Block?

I have a 1976 Ford F150 4x4 stick and when I bought it I was told it had a 350 Cleveland engine. The valve covers are partially flat and partially at a diagonal and the spark plugs do not go straight into the head. The two rear plugs are slanted forward, and the two front plugs are slanted back towards the firewall. This is supposed to be characteristic of a Cleveland block according to the parts store and my research.

The block has an external timing chain with a cover, and the radiator hose connects to the intake manifold. This, I am told, is characteristic of a Windsor block.

The firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Suggestions?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Sounds to me a 360/390. Plugs on a Windsor don't do that and a Cleveland/351m/400 has the coolant his going straight into block. And no the plugs on a Cleveland don't do that. I have a 351cleveland in my truck. Besides unless swapped in that ain't a Cleveland. Cleveland's never came in trucks and were only produce 70-74

That is characteristic of what FE blocks are
/ / \ \
\ \ / /

Last edited by a moderator:
From the factory, the ONLY V8 offered in 4X4's was the 360 2bbl. This is part of the FE family along with the 390's and 427/428's.
Also, another characteristic exclusive to the FE family is the intake manifold goes up under the valve covers.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Another easy way to figure out what engine family you have at least is count the valve cover bolts. 8 of them for a 351M/400...7 of them for a 429/460...6 of them for a 302/351W...5 of them for a 360/390. After that, measure the stroke...and that measurement should let you know what you have.

You guys already covered the subject but I wanted to take some pictures
and post 'em anyway. LOL :)

Like Dennis said FE/FT = //\\
fe390plugs.jpg

Check out the square exhaust ports and the top-n-bottom bolts, but not
all FE's have square ports and the bolts arranged like that tho.

fe390head.jpg

The intake manifold goes up under the valve cover and the thermostat's
position is shown. I don't know anything about other V8's and just barely
getting into 351W's and I'm not a V8 engine rebuilder either.

fe390cover.jpg

Just a picture of the timing chain cover. ;)

FT covers are different since it's steel and sometimes used to support the
engine!

Three of the water pump bolt holes are blind holes but that lower right one
is not. Too bad they did that. :/ My fix for that is to use a stud and put a
nut behind it. Easy as anything to do after you bend two 9/16" open-end
wrenches 45 degrees... one "up" and one "down". Worked for me. ;)

{edit}
{last time I used special antifreeze resistant RTV, from now on I'm using
plain ol' old-timey Permatex/shellac}

Hmmm... I should take a picture of that pair of wrenches too. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts