Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My nephews first truck

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Oh the M5OD is a horrid trans, you should buy some thing else and I think I should get this truck just to save any one from having to suffer with this bad tranns... :D

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Tony,

Something to watch out for on the M5OD

"M5OD Mazda Design Manual Five Speed Transmission
Those of you who own Ford full size or small size trucks with the M5OD Mazda design 5 speed manual transmission should have the rubber shift cover plugs resealed at your earliest possible convenience. A common occurrence with this model transmission is the rubber plugs shrinking over time and allowing lube oil to leak out of the transmission. This occurs while the vehicle is in operation, so there is less of a tendency for a puddle to develop when the vehicle is sitting parked. The result to the transmission is a lack of lubrication and damage to some very expensive gears and bearings.
This is a very prevalent problem. Please get it taken care of before you are added to the casualty list."

www.drwtransmission.com/info.htm#M5OD Mazda Design Manual Five Speed Transmission

FYI there are two versions of the M5OD, the R1 light duty and the R2 medium duty. The F series got the R2 medium duty.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
It is a 4 speed. Not a 5 speed. 3 gears plus OD.

Hmmmm......... I would check that Tony, as i was not aware FMC had a 3 + OD manual transmission available in 9th generation F series trucks.

I read the listing as 4spd + OD which would be the M5 transmission.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Hmmm could it be a T5? I don't know if they ever used the T5 in a 9th gen. Perhaps the trans has been swapped?

A T5 is 5-speed trans 4spd + OD as well.

In addition IIRC FMC only installed that in a couple of car models (Mustang, T-bird).

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
So is the trans in that truck not very good?

The M5OD is a fine medium duty transmission. The are just not as strong as some of the older Non-OD 4spd transmissions used in the past, so some people don't like them as well.

Hmmmm......... I would check that Tony, as i was not aware FMC had a 3 + OD manual transmission available in 9th generation F series trucks.

I read the listing as 4spd + OD which would be the M5 transmission.

I know it was standard in the Fseries for Gen8 (300 + 4speed), but I dont know about Gen9.

EDIT: I looked online some and it would appear to the the Tremec T-18 transmission in the Gen9s.

Last edited:
I say he should straight pipe it, turbo it, redo the internals, get a chip, and whatever other stuff Im not thinking of. Build a complete torque monster. :D

Ford Truck Articles