Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My latest mess up.........

Bought a 400 engine for my 78 F250 4x4, and did not do enough research.
Someone swapped in a 351C. Figured it out when I tried to swap intakes.

Anyway, aren't the bell housing bolt patterns different as well, what all
had to be swapped out in order for someone to put that 351C under the hood,
and get all of the running gear matched up and working? 4x4 etc?

I now have a complete 400, with C6 I do not need, it is supposedly reman.

fromt my understanding the 351c using the SBF pattern so stuff would need to be swapped. were about are you located i could use a 400

I am in S.E. Oklahoma.

This engine was sold to me as rebuilt, when I took off the intake, the heads look great, and they are ported as well. There are a lot of spare parts with it as well, oil pan, starter, alt, trans, etc. The harmonic balancer seems to be all that is missing.There is a new 400 intake. I paid $1300.00 for it. If you are interested we could possibly meet.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
WOWZA...that's steep for a C...hope it was a 0 mile rebuild. But yes, you'll need a small bell C6 if you go with an auto, bellhousings aren't bolt on...if you go with a manual from the era, bells are a bolt on deal.

I paid $1300.00 for a rebuilt 400 longblock, with C-6

The engine in the truck is a 351C. That's my mess up. The 400 I bought will not work w/o a lot of more stuff. I'll keep the 400 for a later project if nothing else.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
WOWZA...that's steep for a C...hope it was a 0 mile rebuild.

But yes, you'll need a small bell C6 [confused] if you go with an auto, bellhousings aren't bolt on...if you go with a manual from the era, bells are a bolt on deal.
'Zebra' just threw a flag!

A/T's use a converter housing, M/T's use a bell housing, but...

The C6's converter housing is made as part of the transmission case.

C6 case used with FE engines is different than other engine sizes.

btw: I have not been able to post parts catalog pics on this site, why I dunno (works fine on t'other site).

If y'all need pics, email me @ [email protected]

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Right. C6 for an M/400/429/460 won't work with the C due to the 'converter' housing.. The bell/converter differences are apparent with this FMX 400 block with the small bell/converter housing pattern:

image407.jpg

Like I said, not bolt on, aka 'part of the case'. As you can see here...

image406.jpg

Ford Truck Articles