Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My big ugly truck

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
I got my new steering gear box put on yesterday,I found out that the hoses were rotted and I had to replace them because they both busted after I got the GB in now it turns smooth but the power steering pump has a whine in it.
next job-signal and brake lights.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Did you bleed out all of the air? I know Ford pumps like to whine anyway.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ford dealer swapped the PS pump in my father's car a few years back; whined like heck for a couple days, and didn't completely shut up for about a week.

If you bled it as best you could, run it a while and see if it gets better.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The only bleeding procedure I know is to turn the wheel back and forth (without reaching full lock) a whole bunch of times.

However, if you replaced components, you may have gotten a LOT of air in there somewhere, and I suspect there is a better way to bleed it (based on experience with other hydraulic stuff) but I don't know what it is...

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
I went out and started it today just to warm it up and it was a little better,but,I did notice that the fluid in the ps pump was real frothie like the head on a beer or something and no I hadn't spill my beer in it.
Is that normal ? or should I be concerned.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I'm not too sure about the frothy bit, I've never noticed it when checking mine but I'll let someone else chime in. I think ford power steering pumps love to whine in general, mine does as well. Then again, I'm sure the 275s up front don't help.

Nice solid truck there, man. Is it a manual or an auto? We need pics of your shot interior. :p

In a transmission (only thing I ever saw it in) the frothy stuff was air in the fluid. On a trans it means the fluid is way over full and getting into the spinning parts, therefore whipping air into it.

Sounds like you have air where it should not be (going through the pump) and it is mixing it in.

I have a hearing problem, but never notice the whine. Everyone says fords pumps whine though.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
oh man do they whine! they whine almost as bad as carl when he can't find one of his many Busch cans!

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
I ran it Idling for two hours today and kept turning the wheel oposite ways and before I turned it off there was no more froth.
However the whine is still there but only when you turn it.
It doesn't surprise me about the whine,The knucklehead that had it probabily ran it on dry forever and a day. I know he ran it with the gear box dry also.
I'm gonna get the signal and brake lights tommorow and get it inspected monday, Dam,dam,dam,I'm excited to drive it legal and work the bugs out.
They're not to many left.(bugs that is.)
Thank you all for your suggestions.

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
I'm not too sure about the frothy bit, I've never noticed it when checking mine but I'll let someone else chime in. I think ford power steering pumps love to whine in general, mine does as well. Then again, I'm sure the 275s up front don't help.

Nice solid truck there, man. Is it a manual or an auto? We need pics of your shot interior. :p

I'm sorry I just noticed that part of the question, It's a 4 speed manual tranny Let me dig some pics from photobucket of the interior. I'l post those up later. If I put them there. A 275 up front you mean,the driver side has a 14 inch tire on it.

Last edited:

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
I could only find this one of the interior,you can't se but the seats are tor all to hell,even the covers are shredded,the door handles are broke off(I have new ones to put on) the window cranks were stripped(replaced).
The floor is solid,bare live wires were running all over the cab,and he had phone wires running from the radio fuse to the inline fuel pump,(fixed).
Even my doggy didn't want her picture taken in it then.:)
Oh yeah and the glove box llock was missing and glued shut.(fixed).

000_0165.jpg

Finally have some pics!!

Attachments

• myrig1.jpg
  • myrig2.jpg
  • myrig3.jpg
  • myrig4.jpg
  • myrig5.jpg

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Lookin good, Hey Travis, his bed is almost your fav color.

Ok well I was gonna be nice and delete my post because I posted these pics on the wrong thread, I was going to post these in the post your picture of your 1980-86 ford f series truck thread but looks like I didn't git r done...I will git r done though smiliegitrdone

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
whoa, ive never seen a green interior like thaT. looks kinda.....well.......80's ish. that dog doesn't look too happy. probably because the interior isn't grabber green;)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts