Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

motor mount frame perches

A 77 f100 2wd that came with a 351 acorting to the vin.

PO put in a 460, (believe it was out of a 77 LTD) but it doesn't fit quite right. Right Exhaust manifold is overlapping the frame rail making the exhaust connection poor and leaking. Oil pan real close to cross member. And the 460 swap mounts I got from Summit Racing didn't change any thing, actually made it worse( oil pan touched x member)

Did some looking around and see that there are different frame perches. Any one have any suggestions. Wrong perches, wrong exhaust manifold?

The Hedman hedders that I bought fit tight on left side, right side touched frame and trans x member in the way so their being returned.

Any suggestions and or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Kyle.

* * HTC Incredible / Forum Runner * *

Using a few washers and a block I have the motor sitting in the truck a lot better. The exhaust manifold is not working though. The right side one flairs out away from the motor towards the frame where the left side stays closer to the block allowing room for exhaust flange to be bolted up. So now I'm thinking a different manifold will take care of the fitment issue.
Part number for manifold that is not working is - D5VE-9430-BA

A 77 f100 2wd that came with a 351 acorting to the vin.

PO put in a 460, (believe it was out of a 77 LTD) but it doesn't fit quite right. Right Exhaust manifold is overlapping the frame rail making the exhaust connection poor and leaking. Oil pan real close to cross member. And the 460 swap mounts I got from Summit Racing didn't change any thing, actually made it worse( oil pan touched x member)

Did some looking around and see that there are different frame perches. Any one have any suggestions. Wrong perches, wrong exhaust manifold?

The Hedman hedders that I bought fit tight on left side, right side touched frame and trans x member in the way so their being returned.

Any suggestions and or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Kyle.

Locate 2WD '73-79 460 factory motor mounts. There are 6 pieces total. engine supports, mounts, cups. The cup mounts to the side of the block. The supports are "perches". Here is a couple pics of what they look like.

motor_mount_1.jpg

motor_mount_2.jpg

You want the same manifolds. 460 2WD '73-'79. Ford put 460's in the dentside trucks. Those of us with bumps use the dent parts to put a 460 in our trucks. I can not say with any authority but believe the mounts out of an Econoline (same years) may work. If you need a source for the pieces let me know. 4WD mounts are different & will not be a direct bolt in. I would also seek out an oil pan from the same years pickup (or possibly van).

Thanks, guess I'm going to hunt up a set of manifolds specific to a truck and see how they differ from what I have currently.

If I can find a 2wd with a 460 I got some pulling to do.

The passenger side exhaust manifold is mentioned in every online swap article I have read.

They put 460's in E-series and the E/M should fit in the F-series
460enginemountsfor70s4x2.jpg

Thanks, guess I'm going to hunt up a set of manifolds specific to a truck and see how they differ from what I have currently.

Well like I said if you need a good source for the parts you need just let me know. I have an excellent source for Ford truck parts. That's where I got my mounts. He pulled them from a truck not that long ago so I would bet he still has the engine and has the oil pan and manifolds. I would just go ahead and buy both correct manifolds. He may have another set of the mounts by now. The mounts can be bought new (NOS/repros) from a few sources and are not cheap. The perches are $100 each NOS & you still need the cups. The mounts themselves you can get at any parts store. The beauty of factory pieces are they bolt right in to existing holes.

Last edited:

I have a set of 460 perches , mounts , cups , bolts , and ribbed manifolds from a 75 F250 that I have listed for sale .

I would be glad to takes a few pics and post them if you still need help .

The 1975 set of manifolds require a flange on the exhaust pipe . I have another set of manifolds from a truck (73 or 74 don't remember ) that are the same shape (one has ribs and one doesn't ) but they have a recess for a doughnut gasket .

Ford Truck Articles