Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mileaged?

Welcome, sounds like a sweet truck, what sort of tires are you running? Is the parking brake and cables functional? 7mpg's does seem a bit low, but I do not have much experience with that particular setup. I had a '74 Camper Special 2wd with a 460 and the C6 3spd auto, got 8mpg.

hey, thanks for posting some pics, I like it! What I was getting at with the brakes is they could be creating drag...

You ain't kidding. At 55mph she's turning just under 3,000 rpm. I rarely go over 50. I have a 18 mile drive to work with about 6 red lights. But I bet she will climb a cliff and pull a trailer along the way.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My guess is a thorough tune up and fresh vacuum lines would be worth a 2 mpg boost. However, when I had 4.10's in my 77 with a 400/c6, I topped out at 8mpg's...I wouldn't expect much more than that.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Then you probably have a 7mpg truck. I've had them before. The only other thing would be accelerate gently...

You say it's a 2v carb... A motorcrap carb??? If so, swapping to a better carb may help a little...

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
That should definitely help as long as you keep your foot out of it...

Also if you run across 255/85/16 or 285/75/16 tires that will help your top speed and mileage a little. They are 2" taller than the ones your running now...

Last edited:
Well, today I found out why I'm only getting 7 mpg. I have a dead cylinder. I know my hearing isn't as good as it was 10 years ago, but I thought I could hear that. Not sure what to do next. You man says NEW MOTOR. another man says "sell it to the rock crawlers". I hate to see the truck disassembled for axles tranny and transver, But I don't have $2000 for a new motor.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Dead how? No compression?

And don't feel bad that you didn't notice it... We had one once that had less than 100psi in 4 cylinders... 2 were at 70psi and it ran like a top. Never knew till we checked the compression.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Dead cylinder being what exactly?....worn ring or valve(s)?...hole in piston?

Not sure. I was talking to a mechanic and he said if the headed tube is cool that cylinder isn't firing. I need to pull a plug and check the compression. Maybe the pliug is just fouled.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Pull a junkyard engine, or check the local classifieds...I'd bet you could find a good runner for less than $200.

I found an easy and inexpensive way to boost my mileage this morning. Make sure the transfer case is in 2 wheel drive. My mileage should improve now. LOL What a Stooge!:hammer:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts