Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Metal Brake Lines ?

Looked thru a couple catalogs for the metal brake lines that come off the master cylinder to the proportioning valve. Not having any luck. Any advise on bending my own? Have never done this so it will be a learning experience for me.

Unfortunately because this isn't Mustang car you will have to bend your own lines.

It seems the aftermarket wants nothing to do with custom steel lines for trucks

I have found them in a kit, but nothing sold separately.

Guess I'll go buy some lines, fittings and a bender/flare tool and have at it.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Any more I just buy adapters and premade lines . I get done in half time compaired to flaring my own . But for a custom look self made is way to go .

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It isn't too hard. You can get different sizes with flares already on them .Most of the time now I just buy the 25 ft rolls from NAPA and make my own lines though. I find it easier.

Thats what I picked up at Napa. The pre made with fittings on and use the right adapter. Ended up taking the proportioning valve off to clean it. It was a good decision, there was a lot of crap that got down in the holes.

My next question, does anyone know which chambers on the master cylinder go to front or rear? The small one is for the rear and the larger for the front, right? The reason I'm asking is that I think the PO had them hooked up backwards.

Thats what I picked up at Napa. The pre made with fittings on and use the right adapter. Ended up taking the proportioning valve off to clean it. It was a good decision, there was a lot of crap that got down in the holes.

My next question, does anyone know which chambers on the master cylinder go to front or rear? The small one is for the rear and the larger for the front, right? The reason I'm asking is that I think the PO had them hooked up backwards.

Thats correct

ProportioningValve.jpg

Thanks for the photo.
Only difference is the right front out line on mine is blocked off. Left front goes to a block above the differential and splits to each side. If i don't get called in to work shortly I'm gonna go and start bending lines and get this thing back together. Really looking forward to maybe driving this thing shortly.

Try and use stock pre-made lines and bend them to fit if you can. Brake lines are and should be double flared on the ends which takes a special tool (don't buy a cheap one) and some practice. If you single flare it will eventually break at the fitting. I have taken mine to a hydraulic line shop, after I bent them, and had them double flare them for me.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Bending brake lines isn't too tough, but does take some practice. This might sound stupid, but to bend the loops in the lines from the Proportioning valve to the master cylinder I took a line and wrapped it around a can of spray paint (I think that's what I used) to get a perfect round loop. And yes, get a good double flare tool or have someone do it for you once you get the lines bent to where you want them.

The stock pre fitted lines with adapter didn't work. The distance from the top of the valve to the bottom of the frame rail is to tight to add an adapter and get the bend needed to clear. So i returned one of the lines and all the adapters and bought a 25' roll of 3/8 tubing, a double flair tool and the fittings. This has been a learning experience for sure. But it is not that difficult, just have to learn a few things and a little practice.

A couple tips that I learned..
- When flaring the lines don't over tighten the tool with brute force. It doesn't make good ends. It will crush the flair. (Let the tool do the work type of thing)
- Don't cut all the way though the tubing, Score it and snap it off. Makes a cleaner edge.

bucks77ford - Thats exactly what I used. Worked real well.

Ford Truck Articles