Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Maybe my next Company Vehicle, any thoughts?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Incidentally, I was going to offer the guy $20k.....he's definitely negotiable because the ad clearly states Or Best Offer.

I hear ya...that would just be tough for me to swallow being that close in price and that far apart in age. One could argue that you could negotiate down the 2013 another 5k as well.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The 5.4 isn't the most exciting engine in the world but it does the job well.

Don't worry about the cam phaser issue Chris was talking about. Mine has been ticking like a diesel for 60k miles and operates fine. It doesn't sound the most sexy but it's fine.

Ryan

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
25k seems really high for a 7 year old truck. Regardless of mileage.

The more you guys mention it, the more the year scares me for the price....I was thinking of offering him 17 or 18k without really insulting him.....the goal is too find something that can be a decent driver for me for 3-5 years before my company will need to depreciate another vehicle....maybe longer depending on how things go.

Do you fellas think this 06 would last me another 5 years of no-minimal maintenance?

Otherwise, like Ben was saying, pay another 5-10k to get a 12 or 13 and I could get 10+ good years out of it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I'm probably not the right person to ask at this point in time, seeing as my car just recently fell out of it's warranty window...and I just had to fork over $647 on a frickin alternator. Will the truck make it, probably...would I be apprehensive...definitely, would it prevent ME from looking at it...no doubt about it. If I'm gonna fork over that kind of cash, I want assurances...and if you're spending 25k, what's 30...especially as a company vehicle.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^I'm probably not the right person to ask at this point in time, seeing as my car just recently fell out of it's warranty window...and I just had to fork over $647 on a frickin alternator. Will the truck make it, probably...would I be apprehensive...definitely, would it prevent ME from looking at it...no doubt about it. If I'm gonna fork over that kind of cash, I want assurances.

I hear ya Ben....thanks! Houlton is a good 3 hour drive from me, so at least it's not that far away.....

I didn't have any luck on eprey, but found these two that we'd consider on autotrader:

2013 f150 4wd crew 16k miles, 29k

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...0000&listingId=355205340&listingIndex=2&Log=0

2011 f150 4wd crew 18k miles, $29k

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...0000&listingId=356255038&listingIndex=4&Log=0

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So after looking at the NEW vehicles, there's no way to get out from having to pay mid 30's......a tad outside what I want to spend for this next rig......

On that first 2006 F150 in Maine with only 27k on the clock, I did email and offer him 20k and didn't counter, but asked if I could go a few thousand higher and I'm still thinking about it.

I did see this one and liked the fact that he installed a new engine and price is right....his first ebay had a BIN for 20k and he literally dropped it to 17k with a starting bid of 15k, I bet he'd take 15 for it....it's an 07....even though it's only a 6 ft bed, I wonder if it's a tad big for the wifey to drive.....it looks bigger than the F150, is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ars_Trucks&hash=item35ccd08ed5#ht_1178wt_1161

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Again...my skepticism is probably showing...but those kinds of 'deals' are the ones that always burn me. Red flag #1...replaced engine...he can explain it away, but fact of the matter is he already admitted it was a neglected truck, so what else is wrong with it. Maybe you'll be facing a 3-5k tranny bill in the near future too. Red flag #2 why was the BIN dropped 15% almost immediately??? Possibly trying to entice someone to take his headache off his hands???

Just did a quick look on ebay and it looks like you can pick those things up all day long in the 15-20k price range. As a matter of fact, my little bro just bought a 2006 350 4x4 CC for 16k-ish with 80k on the odo.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Again...my skepticism is probably showing...but those kinds of 'deals' are the ones that always burn me. Red flag #1...replaced engine...he can explain it away, but fact of the matter is he already admitted it was a neglected truck, so what else is wrong with it. Maybe you'll be facing a 3-5k tranny bill in the near future too. Red flag #2 why was the BIN dropped 15% almost immediately??? Possibly trying to entice someone to take his headache off his hands???

Just did a quick look on ebay and it looks like you can pick those things up all day long in the 15-20k price range. As a matter of fact, my little bro just bought a 2006 350 4x4 CC for 16k-ish with 80k on the odo.

Ben, yes, I'm with you on the neglected truck issue.....probably drive train issues to follow! Thanks....

But on the 15-20k price, which I've also seen all over ebay, I'm trying to stay as low mileage as possible....anything close to 100k miles scares me into major repairs (which I'm not totally afraid of doing or spending, but for 15-20k, I feel there's got to be better, much better, no?).

I mean, I bought my Bronco for next to nothing (I know it's not a late model CC, but it had only 113k on it).....and here I'm looking at spending 5-7 times (at 15-20k) the Bronco cost for similar mileage or similar major repairs.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben, yes, I'm with you on the neglected truck issue.....probably drive train issues to follow! Thanks....

But on the 15-20k price, which I've also seen all over ebay, I'm trying to stay as low mileage as possible....anything close to 100k miles scares me into major repairs (which I'm not totally afraid of doing or spending, but for 15-20k, I feel there's got to be better, much better, no?).

I mean, I bought my Bronco for next to nothing (I know it's not a late model CC, but it had only 113k on it).....and here I'm looking at spending 5-7 times (at 15-20k) the Bronco cost for similar mileage or similar major repairs.

This has actually been a topic on a couple of my other forums...and I'm with you. I think 15-20k for a 5-10 year old full size (read 3/4 and 1 tons) truck with 100-200k on the odo is absolutely insane. I don't know why they're maintaining such high resale values...but they are. Seems like you can get anything pre-92 (Ford anyway) for a song...but anything newer just blows my mind. This seems to be one of those scenarios where you need to decide, do you pay for what you want...or do you find something in your established budget.

I think if I were you...the size and price range you're looking for, I'd be looking at a Lincoln Blackwood...unique and fits your price range. Dunno if they came in 4x4 though.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
This has actually been a topic on a couple of my other forums...and I'm with you. I think 15-20k for a 5-10 year old full size (read 3/4 and 1 tons) truck with 100-200k on the odo is absolutely insane. I don't know why they're maintaining such high resale values...but they are. Seems like you can get anything pre-92 (Ford anyway) for a song...but anything newer just blows my mind. This seems to be one of those scenarios where you need to decide, do you pay for what you want...or do you find something in your established budget.

I think if I were you...the size and price range you're looking for, I'd be looking at a Lincoln Blackwood...unique and fits your price range. Dunno if they came in 4x4 though.

Never heard of the Lincoln and from doing a little search, did they only make this ONE TIME? 2002? That's all I see for years for sale. Pretty pricey at that.

84k miles $19k
84k miles $17k
94k miles $16k
100k miles $16k

Also, EXNAY....it's only 2wd! :(

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So update.....the guy accepted my 22 offer and now we're getting close to making a deal.

He's 3 hours away and I asked for pics of the underneath, bed, and engine bay.

Maybe......it's growing on me....it's a 5.5 or 5.8 bed, so PERFECT for the wifey to be able to tool around town if she wants. It's auto, 4wd, cc. Low miles.

Books for:
Ex $28578
VG $28028
Good $27428
Fair $25928

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^MSRP back in 06 was a whopping $39,755 and Invoice was $35,212...that's crazy.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Yeah, that's insane! I never have, and can confidently say I will never buy a new, off the lot vehicle.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That should work out just fine for you Ken...almost like having a brand new 2006.

So after looking at the NEW vehicles, there's no way to get out from having to pay mid 30's......a tad outside what I want to spend for this next rig......

On that first 2006 F150 in Maine with only 27k on the clock, I did email and offer him 20k and didn't counter, but asked if I could go a few thousand higher and I'm still thinking about it.

I did see this one and liked the fact that he installed a new engine and price is right....his first ebay had a BIN for 20k and he literally dropped it to 17k with a starting bid of 15k, I bet he'd take 15 for it....it's an 07....even though it's only a 6 ft bed, I wonder if it's a tad big for the wifey to drive.....it looks bigger than the F150, is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ars_Trucks&hash=item35ccd08ed5#ht_1178wt_1161
They drive quite a bit bigger than a half ton.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Doc23_Page_3.jpg

Doc23_Page_2.jpg

Doc23_Page_1.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts