Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

making supercamper into welding truck

camperspecial

truckjunkie
Ok guys I'm torn here. Ive got a 73 super camper f350 Im considering changing it to a dually and building a welding bed for it. I need a truck with a welding bed to do my odd jobs with. It may be too much work to change it to a dually and build a bed so Im gonna take a poll, so what do yall think?
Ken

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
do it , and post lots of pics durin the process

I wouldnt do it, only because i think the long wheelbase is so cool with a bed on it.

Is your bed rusted?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
You should post some pics of the truck to give you better opinion. But, those supercampers are kinda hard to find in good shape if yours is, so I wouldn't do it. However, if the bed is in good shape you could always sell that for some good money and build your bed.

Do it, but don't go "dually"! :/ IMO and IME.

For less money, you can have a better setup with a pair of big tires
(and the wheels to fit them!) in the back. That's what my cowboy
buddies did back when they'd buy stripped chassis and build their
own homemade cattle hauler "box" on the back.

"duals are more trouble than they're worth :/" -dumb cowboy

Their horses were trained to jump up into the back, on level ground.

Of course now they're all using goose-necks, but still -no- duals on
silly-little-pickups! :/

Duals are only on their semi's (real trucks ;) never on their pickups
and flat bed light duty "trucks".

That's just from my experience YMMV?

Otherwise sounds like a good idea, if you can use a flat bed, go for it,
you'll like it! :) If the bed is in real good shape, sell that baby! LOL :)

Alvin in AZ

camperspecial

truckjunkie
The bed is good on one side, the other side(drivers side) has a rust hole on the top of the bed. I could fix that by cutting it out and welding in a patch panel. so it could be good. The problem I see with alvins idea is the width of a dually bed is right at 8'. if I build a bed with the current axle it would be narrower. on a welding bed space is a premium so that is why I was thinking dually.

Ken

My 74 scs is a dually with the original bed still on it. The dual wheels clear on the inside but it's close. I have one inch soft rubber flange I used as a fender flare because the outer wheel stuck out just a little. It looks really cool with wheels tucked up under the truck, people always ask if it came from ford like that. If you chose to go with the dual wheels you'll need to change the hubs also, as the bud wheels are hub-centric.

Gonna agree with the masses on this one. These trucks are increasingly difficult to find ! The long wheelbase, single rear tire F-350 Camper Special was Ford's answer to the Chevy dually !! Ford had it right in that dual wheels were often far more problematic than helpful. I like Alvin's idea if you simply wish to use this truck because it's a tough customer, and Dan makes a valid case for the use of a higher rated 'single' tire. Best of luck in your decision. 75HiBoy in Phoenix

camperspecial

truckjunkie
ok heres what im coming to think now. take the original bed off and build a frame for it and use it as a trailer. then build a flat bed for the truck keeping the original axle set up. that leaves me with the option of putting the bed back on latter if i would like.
Thanks for all of ya'lls input.

Ken

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Id put the bed in dry storage to preserve it if it aint to bad already. Not sure itd make the best trailer anyways havin that axle set so far back itd make for more tounge wieght.

Ford Truck Articles