Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Low Pinion vs. High Pinion axles

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm talking in mass generalities here, but I got to thinking about the crazy prices some folks are willing to pay for HP front axles, I'm mainly thinking ford 1 tons. However, I got to thinking about the real differences between the two (and this is where I'm generally speaking because I know some specifics and characteristics make different axles more appealing than others).

On the whole, with an HP axle, you have a reverse spiral cut gear set up...which allows it to run on the drive side of the gear, rather than the coast side. My thought is with good driving and proper throttle control, this 'advantage' could be negated.

Also, folks say the HP will yield more ground clearance, which I find to be a little deceiving, because the diff will still be in the same location, it's the drive shaft that really changes location, and it'll sit 2-4" higher. Here again, if you're not running on the rocks, shouldn't this be negligible?

Beyond that, I'm stumped on general differences. Yes, I understand, there may be a differenc in u-joints, yokes, crush sleeves or not, etc. But most of that can be swapped. So are there any other inherent weaknesses, and to what extent, associated with the LP axles. I know with Jeep crowds, the HPD30 out of an XJ is a direct bolt on to replace the LP30 in a ZJ, but more often than not, the owners didn't wind up with what they were expecting.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not reverse rotation..reverse cut gears...smilietease

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^That's what I said..:wasntme:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
First year for F350 w/4WD: 1979. These trucks used Dana 60's front and rear.

1967/78 F350 & 1979/84 F350 2WD: Dana 70 rear axles.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
First year for F350 w/4WD: 1979. These trucks used Dana 60's front and rear.

1967/78 F350 & 1979/84 F350 2WD: Dana 70 rear axles.

I'm actually looking to swap some axles underneath the Bronco, to turn it into a full time trail rig. The 70 is definitely going in the rear. And this swap is kinda what spawned this thread. I know of a couple junked 250 CC 4x4's that I can rob a front LP60 out of for under $150...around here, the HP's seem to be anywhere from $8-1200, and I wouldn't mind keeping the majority of that coin in my pocket.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Depending on how high you lift a vehicle the high pinion is more desireable. It will maintain a better front driveshaft angle than a comparable LP axle.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts