Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

leveling kit

atcJESSEb

Florida Chapter member
ocala
whats thr diffrence in a leveling kit and a torsion keys i know what each does. but whats the diffence after you install them.?
and not to sound stupid but i didnt know my truck had torsion bars???

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Can't help with your question but welcome to the site! You shoulda join the Florida chapter...I'm only bout an hour away from ya and another guy is in Belleview.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Ok now that my head is a bit more clear....I can't tell you what exactly the torsion keys do other than make your ride stiffer.....I believe if you want a lift that is easy to do and retain the stock ride quality go with the leveling kit......Did those on my bud's 06 F150 a few weeks back and it only took about 20 minutes a side....

Front End Alignment Needed or Not?

I have a question for someone who has used a leveling kit. Once you have used the new key on the torsion bar and you have raized the front end an inch or so, do you need to get a new front end alignment? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Difference btw Leveling Kit & Keys

There is no difference. A leveling kit consist of the two keys and then you you need some kind of special key to remove the old key and then insert the new one. These keys are available in 1.0", 1.5", and 2.0" increments and thats how much you can raise the front of vehicle to equal the same level as the rear of the vehicle, hence the name "leveling kit". What I am not sure of is after you do this does it affect anything that would be related to changing the front end alignments. I would hate to do this and then wear out the front tires prematuritly. As far as the torsion bars avaiable on your 97? Depends on if it has coil springs or a torsion bar system. Thanks Again,
Haig
:flag:

your truck has torsion bar suspension, and the leveling kit is just another "key" that the hex (that slides onto the torsion bar) is indexed differently, so that when installed it forces more twist into the bar, therefore forcing the tire down which lifts the truck up. And yes, you need an alignment after installation. My last truck (a 2000 4x4), I installed new keys on it and was able to run 33's on it. I know guys who claim to have just turned up the factory keys and ran 33's, but mine rubbed when I tried this so I bought the kit. Good luck, I was happy with mine.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Just make sure you don't crank the adustables too much as you will bottom out the upper A-arm and lose travel. I have mine cranked about 1.5" with a 3" BL and run 35's with no rubbing.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts