Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Leveling kit vs body lift??

I'm looking at new rims and tires in the spring I would like to put 33 12.50 on 20s on the truck. Would 2.5" leveling kit be enough??? eBay has a complete kit with shocks for 250 including shipping. But how hard is a body lift?? Never done one before it looks more involved than the leveling kit. I seen a leveling and body lift as a set that ends up with a 6" lift but I don't want that much of a lift just one big enough to make 33s look good. Has anyone who has done one or both? Some advice would really be appreciated!!

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
If you drive this vehicle daily..I would not recommend a Body lift.there is a great deal to consider before installation of one,for you dont just raise the body.for example the steering shaft will have to be lengthened or replaced,brake lines to the master cylinder will need addressed,column shifter linkages,floor shifters,radiator hoses,bumpers ect.Body lifts also put more stress on the body floor mounting areas and in time these areas could crack under this stress.The trucks body was meant to sit on the frame using the Rubber mounts for flexing,body lifts take this away,Higher center of gravity increases roll over risks as well.Now I do have a 3" Body lift along with a suspension lift that was proffesionally installed on my 79,I do like it,but the truck is a weekend warrior see's no weather or abuse which makes a big difference.IMO if you want a lift.Lift the truck with suspension modifications.that is the proper way to go.Now im not fluent enough to tell you how high to go to get those 20" rims under it.your wheel arches are a bit more larger than these older rigs as well.I do not want to assume and give you the wrong info.im sure someone here who knows better on the newer trucks could steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for the info on the body lift I watched a video on you tube where a guy installed a body lift on a dodge ram truck no videos for fords. I think he made it look too easy he didn't go into the steering and brake lines. I was leaning towards suspension lift anyway. This truck is driven on weekends but I drive it any chance I get like every Friday :) so it will have some miles put on it. I think 20's will fit but some trimming might have to be done I think 2 inch blocks and keys will raise it enough.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I ran a BL on my 70K a year DD and NEVER had an issue, BL's have come a LONG way over the years and I would do another in a heartbeat. Don't have time to get into great detail right now, but will elaborate when I get the chance for you.

Ok I read a few articles online that had bad reviews about the torsion keys but the guy I work with put keys on his Dakota and has not had any problems but he has a dodge not a ford the reviews were all on fords. Really my goal is to make 33s look good on the truck and rub a little as possible.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
OK here it goes...

My 3" BL on my F150 worked great and I ran it with NO issues the entire time and loved it. I installed it over a weekend in the driveway, it came with ALL the bumper brackets needed to make them look good, the only thing I should have sprung for was the lift lips to hide the bed to frame gap. I also have a buddy that runs torsion keys on his and they do nothing more than what just cranking your T-bars will get. Only thing they are "supposed" to do is retain the "factory" ride... DOESN'T happen. His rode rougher than mine with my T-bars cranked 1.25" And you can OVER lift the torsion bars with the keys and you will top out the control arms on the bottom stop causing a NASTY ride on the highway.

I cleared 35" with 1.25" T-bar crank and a 3" BL. VERY LITTLE TRIMMING on the front bumper bottom trim to make them clear. 33's cleared with no clearance issues even under full articulation. Only thing I would have done is add a block in the back to give the rake again, but I like that look.

Thanks for the info I'm still deciding if I want to stay with my stock rims and crank my torsion bars for the time being. I really want new rims and tires and lift in the near future. The truck rides fairly stiff as it is it. It must be the early years 97 and 98 they seem to ride stiffer than 99 and up from what I have noticed from the ones I have driven. I also notice that the base models like mine sit higher that the other trim levels or it could be just my imagination. What did you do with the steering shaft? Or brake lines or did that not effect those things from the body lift? I still want the leveled look after the lift I personally like the front sitting a little higher but not extreme. Would ebay have a decent kit or should I just spend the extra money and get it from a company? I know I have a lot of questions but I want to do if right. Thanks

Notice something interesting today on my truck while I putting trans mount on I looked at the rear springs and seen that it appears to have factory blocks between the axel and springs. Any one else seen this before? How will lift blocks work with set up?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts