Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

lens restorer

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Anybody got a homemade solution to restoring lenses on exterior lights... That stuff they are selling on TV cannot be the only solution. Thinking baking soda and vinegar would be a good start.

We just use a fine auto body cutting compound and a friend of mine reckons he's had success with brasso

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Toothpaste and a good elbow. If it doesn't work, ya haven't wasted $20!

If you don't feel like doing it yourself you can go to walmart and have it done for like 40 bucks, supposed to carry a "lifetime" warranty..

And if you don't like of it turns out, you can raise cain with the MOD and probably get it for free...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The one with Tartar removal ? LMAO !! Seriously though, I've heard it works.
smilieIagree

I've used the method before...the grittier the toothpaste the better...and the more scuffed the lense, the better. If it's minutely scuffed, you'll barely tell, but if it's not even opaque and damn near solid looking and yellowed to high hell, it'll bring it back rather impressively.

1970 F100.
Was thinking initially on trying it on my front blinkers until I can score a good deal on replacements.

1) Not a sealed beam????? If it is...just replace the light, for the few extra bucks, the time saved is well worth it.

2) That unit should have glass lenses, correct? (Strictly thinking headlights) If so, that should just be a matter of a rag and polish it out...usually the clouding of a headlight is due to plastic lenses.

3) If you do decide to go ahead with a product, stay away from the miracle polishes...you'll get the same results as the toothpaste. Go with the buffing/sanding method

And finally...if you're talking about any other of the lenses on the truck, I'd just drop them in a hot soapy bucket and get to scrubbing with a tooth brush. If the lense is looking cloudy or discolored, chances are it's a 'laminate separation' issue.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts