Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

key switch problems

I have a 1988 full size bronco. I cannot get the key switch out. I tried to push the little button under the switch with a small screw driver but nothing. I pulled the sterring wheel and still cannot get the switch out. Can anyone help me? What would cause it not to come out? thanks <>< del

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 1988 full size bronco. I cannot get the key switch out. I tried to push the little button under the switch with a small screw driver but nothing. I pulled the sterring wheel and still cannot get the switch out. Can anyone help me? What would cause it not to come out? thanks <>< del
Are you inserting the key, then turning it to run first? If the problem is the switch wont turn, you'll hace to punch the button in.

ok, I got the new cylinderi andit is still kinda hard to turn just like it was before I replaced it. The truck will not start either. We were having to hold the gear shifter up to start, now it will not even start while I hold the gear shifter up. What else in there that would cause it to not turn over? thanks <>, del

ok, I got the new key cylinder in and it still will not start. I checked the sylinoid and it is good. I replaced the neutral safety switch. still no start, will not even try to turn over. can someone PLEASE help me out? I am about to lose my mind with this truck.:hammer: :hammer: someone please try to help me out. thanks <>< del

blacksnapon

Staff member
The ignition switch is actually by your knees when you're driving. It sits on top of the column. Its connected to the key by an actuator rod. Is the rod binding? Is the switch bad? The key and tumblers move an oddly shaped "connector" (if its a tilt wheel). Those are bad for breaking. If you've never dismantled a column before, its a lot of parts and a lot of tools and a lot of time kind of job.

I have changed the ignition switch, the acuator rod is moving as it should. I took the sterring wheel off and checked all that. I am just high pi$$ed at this truck now. about ready to give it away. thanks for trying to help me. <>< del

OK, great news. that dude is fixed!!! after replacing the key cylinder, sylinoid, and neutral safety switch, it was the acuator rod that was the problem. It was too far back. Slid it foreward and it works. thanks for yall's patience and help. God bless <>< delsmilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts