Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I've been thinking. (oh no)

Long boring night at work and that left me time to think. My 98 4.6 5 speed 4x4 is making a horrible tapping noise. Sounds like an exhaust manifold but I am unable to see any signs of a leak anywhere. And when your under the hood and rev the motor it sounds more like its under the valve cover. So of couse I'm thinking the worst and that got my mind to wonder just a bit. If I'm going to put a motor in this truck why not try and find a wreaked lightning or HD and have something a little unique that would still be mechanically relieable.
--would my trans with a new clutch hold up?
--what would I have to change on my truck to work with the different motor?

Right away I'm thinking I would have to get the motor, wiring harness, computer.

-- Where would I live when I tell the wife I have brought home another wrecked truck for parts?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Let me post when I have more time....

Didn't know that about the HD trucks. If one were to do it, it only makes sense to go with the boosted swap.

have to stop by HF and pick up one of those.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Ok first off check all your plugs to make sure they are tight. You may have a plug getting ready to blow.

If you are wanting to go with a boosted 5.4 swap, BEST bet is to check out www.lightningrodder.com. Look in the Gen 2 Parts section and find a complete motor. You don't need a computer but will need a tune. You can get with Rick at www.amazontuning.com. He is the best I have talked to about tuning. Also if you want to talk to someone about porting Bob is the best around in my opinion. www.stiegemeier.com/home.html. Really good guy.

DO NOT convert over to a blown off an N/A. Too much money and time. not worth the hassle. You can buy an entire motor for a couple grand and have it tuned for $700, and you are good to go. I have over $12G's in my motor after learing the hard way.

If you have any questions about this swap touch base with me. I can shoot you my cell if you have any questions.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I believe it was 03-04. but you can pick up a lightning motor cheap in stock form.

Thanks for all the info. Will check out the links when I get home.
As for a loose spark plug...I took the first plug out and it was definatlly worn and in need of replacement. So I move to the next one and nothing. I could get the socket on the plug into the rubber sleeve but it would just turn and turn. Going to dig around and see if there is something down in keeping the socket from connecting to the part of the plug it needs to.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
usually a samll piece of plastic will drop down in there along side the spark plug. Pay close attention to the #3 cylinder along with the #2. cylinder location as follows...

Pass....Drive

Update

Finally got the time too tear into her. Once I got the plastic inner fender removed you could see the crack in the manifold. (Pictured is after I enlarged it a little) Right at number four cylinder.

12-05-10_031.jpg

What a PITA to remove. Rounded over three on the bottom and one on the top. Theres also a plate for the motor mount that I had to loosen and jack up the motor enough for the socket to clear. At least it wasn't something serious with the motor.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
SWEET! time for some shorty headers now!

SWEET! time for some shorty headers now!

Don't think I didn't think about that. But I'm really really interested in the lighting swap. So I just bought a new manifold and got her back on the road. This will give me time to look for a motor and do all the nessisary research for the project. Besides I need to get the 79 up and running. To many projects going on at one time.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I hear ya. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. I will try to steer you in the right direction for parts and people in the field.

Ford Truck Articles