Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I'm Looking for 73-79 Tailgate Trim piece, reasonable

I'm looking for the upper trim piece. It's wide, black and chrome. Check gallery for pic of what I'm after. I'd like it to be in pretty good conditon @ reasonable price. let me know if you have one....thank you I know it can be purchased new or nos, but that's just not practical for me as of now.

Evan

Last edited:
I believe it was on 73-77 xlt? and 78-79 lariats? Possibly ranger xlt as well.

I'm in the process of putting the middle trim and rocker trim on right now and I thought one of these tailgate pieces would be nice as well. I've already got the F OR D piece and the two pieces that go on top and bottom of the gate.

I'm guessing this piece I'm after screws in from the backside as the F O R D piece does?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It screws in above ford piece and replaces upper chrome strip. I have one currently in Oklahoma. Ok for a driver not a show piece.

Yes, thats the piece. I may have found one, we'll see if it works out. I'd like one in good driver condition

I have 1 that is real nice driver no dents black is great there are some small scratches in the top trim part on the pass side as well as some around the tailgate handle. I also have the part that fills in around the tailgate handle. if that other one doesn't work out.
John

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It screws [confused] in above ford piece and replaces [confused]upper chrome strip.
It does not replace the upper tailgate moulding (which is anodized aluminum, not chrome). It's used in addition to it on XLT's & Lariats.

D3TZ-9941018-B .. Upper Tailgate Anodized Aluminum Moulding.

D3TZ-9941018-A .. Lower Tailgate Anodized Aluminum Moulding.

D3TZ-99425A34-A .. Lower Tailgate Anodized Aluminum Finish Panel w/FORD letters.

D3TZ-99425A34-B .. Upper Tailgate Anodized Aluminum Finish Panel-XLT & Lariat only.

These finish panels are retained by clips, do not "screw" on.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Well I had to remove the little strip on mine when I put the black trim on so I'm not sure then. Mine has screws not clips to hold the black trim.

Ya, I got one the other day in pretty nice shape. I haven't looked over it real close, but looks as if it screws from the back, like the "FORD Name plate" Bills is right, it doesnt replace the upper piece, this goes directly under it.

Ford Truck Articles