Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I want a Ford!!!

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I damn nearly had it with the Suburban in the last week...

Long story, but here's the highlights:

Was doin some work for a guy, went to move his trailer out of the desert sand where he had it stuck, hooked the Subby to it, rocking it, and Subby dies out.

Never once did that before. ****.

Thinking I was jerkin pretty damn hard and maybe I tripped the inertia fuel shutoff switch. 1987 GMC Subbys have no IFSS. ****.

Turns out the ECM1 fuse is burned. Baaaaad sign.

After much cursing and swearing, call Lexi to bring the Ford over.

Lexi arrives with F250 and trailer, and cussing because the Ford is so damn long with the 16' trailer.

Load Sub on trailer. Drive home.

Have computer tested and find that not only is it toast ($$$) my $300 custom PROM chip is also toast ($$$). More Swearing.

Tear TBI off Subby. Replace with Edelbrock aluminum manifold and Rochester Q-Jet. Q-Jet choke stuck shut on first test drive. Muffler fills with fuel. Blow muffler.

Muffler is odd size and no direct replacement exists. Order 3" Cherry Bomb.

Fix Choke on q-Jet.

And that about sums up the last 5 days for me.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I remember episodes like that..it's never just one thing and then it snowballs!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was jerkin pretty damn hard

First off...^^^Hahahahahaha^^^.

Secondly, damn chevy's.

Thirdly, that's the main reason I went with something new, I was sick of my ***** hanging over a fender and being forced to work on a rig because it was primary transportation. Now if something happens, who cares, it can sit til I'm ready to work on it.

Lastly, sorry for the tough luck.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Lessons learned? Yes, namely **** ROCHESTER!!!!!

On my way to pick up a good Spread bore Holley right now.

And thank you ben for the sympathy. Luckily I still have the work truck to drive. my beloved F250...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Lessons learned? Yes, namely **** ROCHESTER!!!!!...

While yours does sound FUBAR'd, I know a few guys that know those carbs like I know how to count to 10, and they swear by them...and word on the street is they're a damn offroad carb if you know what you're doing. But I suppose it's a similar conversation as Holley's being harder to tune than eddy's...depends on what you know.

On my way to pick up a good Spread bore Holley right now....

Holley FTW

And thank you ben for the sympathy.

Shhhhh...don't let that get out...haha.

And I hate glasspacks but the price was right. we'll see what it sounds like when I get it on...

It'll sound like pure win, that's for sure.

A holley and a gpack...I couldn't be prouder of you Matty Bear.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Yeah, the Q-Jet has serious potential in the right hands... The dump truck I built for my business partner before I left Montana was a 3-ton GMC with a 350/5-speed with a Q-Jet on it and it was pretty great. Power from idle on up to 4200 like nothing and smooth as silk. the 2 I was currently fighting with are rather f'd up though.

The Holley is an unusual spread bore - like this for those who don't know:
(oo)
(OO)

being that the secondaries are quite large compared to the primaries in typical GM style.

The Cherry Bomb is kinda loud for my liking, but it has a nice tone. I've had trouble getting anything to sound quiet on the 3" pipe...

The Holley made it sing like a sewing machine. It being my first holley, I'm rather impressed.
4175, 650CFM. About right for a 400SBC IMHO.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

GM bore patterns look kinda like boobies with big nips.smilieFordlogo (.)(.)

Oh and glad things are working now. How long was the gpack you got? Some of those approach 44" long and you can bare hear the rig running.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
How long was the gpack you got? Some of those approach 44" long and you can bare hear the rig running.

If you can still carry on a normal conversation after driving more than 20miles, without screaming, it's to quiet. I just had duals put on my Chevy a month or two back, with off brand flowmasters and it's WAY to quiet for my liking.

and sorry for the bad luck, I know how that goes... it seems like with mine if one goes down, they both go down... so I fix both, and start the process over again.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
It's a 35" glasspack... the longest 3" that Cherry Bomb makes. The 3" pipe is the problem I think.

I've had a hell of a time getting the idle set though, and it didnt quite have the power I was expecting.

Filled it up with fuel and it's all better. Had a chitty batch of fuel.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
if anyone sees a good deal on a C350 Bronco

That would get my vote...and fourdoorbronco.com will have the scoop on anything you could want.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Damn taylor, some of those are pretty good deals...

Out of curiosity, what's the pros/cons of 5.4, 6.8, or 7.3/6.0 in the EXs?

My first instinct would be to go 7.3 FTW!!! but IDK...

Will check 4doorbronco site Ben.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I think in today's world, you'd be damn near stupid to not go with a diesel with the onslaught of technology and the potential they have. T'was a time where they weren't as supported and power numbers weren't impressive enough to jump for that more expensive option, IMO. But if you can swallow the fuel costs (should be a break even point somewhere considering better mpg's) and the noise, I don't see any reason not to go with a diesel. I have limited experience with all the engines you listed, but I'd cross off the gassers, and I'd avoid the 6.0, merely because I hear more horror stories than I do positive (myth or not, there's usually an ounce of truth behind stereotypes). At least that's my take, and I'm not a big diesel guy.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts