Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I have a 2004 heritage 4.2. Starting problems! help!

Ok let me make this short and sweet. One day I get in my truck to start it and it wont start!!! It just keeps cranking!!! After about 5-10 minutes of cranking it starts. It runs fine. No check engine light. So I have AAA come out to test the battery. The battery is good. So now I think.I have a problem with the starter. I replace the starter with a new one. After I replaced it all seemed ok. But then the next day I notice the same problem. It cranks and cranks. After about 5 minutes of trying it starts. Now I recently had the fuel pump replaced about 5 months ago. Never had this issue before. I dont think its a solenoid issue because if it was it wouldnt crank.at all. Same with an ignition issue. I wouldnt get the crank. I was thinking it could be the spark plugs or injectors but I would get a check.engine light for that and it would run like crap. Its runs smooth when its on. No check engine light.

The parts guy that I know did say it could possibly be the fuel pressure. I am no mechanic and that sounds like a whole can of worms all together. And once again it would be guess work. No check.engine light. It starts flawlessly 80 percent of the time. But the other 20 percent is very frustrating especially since I use this truck for work! I service swimming pools and going.house to house. It can.be a headache. Please help!! Thank you.

If it turned over with out firing for 5-10 min's it was obviously not the battery or the starter. If it was either it would have never turned over or near that long.

Id definitely look into fuel or spark. The starter is doing its job by getting it spinning, but either the spark is not igniting the fuel, or it has no fuel to ignite. when it comes to the newer engine's im lost at pin pointing stuff like on the old engine's. Id check the fuel pressure when cranking and when Idling.

Next time it does it quit trying to start it and cycle the fuel pump on/off with the key (without actually trying to crank it) about 4-5 time's then try to start it. If it start's immediately then it's most likely something to do with the fuel pump.

Ford Truck Articles