Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how to tell deep pan from shallow pan?

I went to AutoZone to get filter for my '94 E4OD and had a pick of either deep pan or shallow pan. Visually how do I tell the difference? I could wait til I tear it down but that makes it very inconvenient to get to AutoZone with no vehicle. Jim

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
One will be deep and one will be shallow, the average pan is about 1.5" or so...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Talkin about the difference between the filters? The difference is the spout that sticks off the bottom of the filter. The shallow one will have a really short tube maybe half an inch or slighly longer. The 4wd/deep-pan version will have a 2-3 inch pickup tube. Otherwise they look the same.

That's it Skan. I was unaware that it was a 4wd vs. 2wd difference. Also the guy at Autozone didn't know it either. Thank you.

On the Autozone website they offer both deep pan and shallow pan for my 4wd, that's why I didn't know that a shallow was for 2wd and deep pan was the 4wd style.

The clerk at Autozone even showed me both filters but it didn't do me any good since I didn't have a filter available to compare it to. And just by looking at my pan I couldn't tell that it was deep or shallow. Muchos Gracias! Jim

Next time?
Buy both! :)

Ask the clerk if it's ok to return the one-it-ain't.

Smarter than I look in AZ

even smarter is buy ONE and buy the deep one, you can trim it if you need to! =).. not the smartest idea, but it works!

even smarter is buy ONE and buy the deep one, you can trim it if you need to! =)
.. not the smartest idea, but it works!
Cool idea, I sure as heck didn't think of cutting it! LOL :)
But cutting it won't work so good on something like say, brake hoses. ;)
...or who knows what, next time?

After all, we are talking about parts for a Ford, so it -will- happen again, guaranteed. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Cool idea, I sure as heck didn't think of cutting it! LOL :)
But cutting it won't work so good on something like say, brake hoses. ;)
...or who knows what, next time?

After all, we are talking about parts for a Ford, so it -will- happen again, guaranteed. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Where theres a will, theres a way.. you can cut a brake line, just need a flaring tool!! lol

Ford Truck Articles