Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to not buy a truck off craigslist.

DUDE,

I AM IMPRESSED.

Good work! My 86's shifter came out of the T-18 just like yours! lol. I was like, huh, thats funny. i was stuck in 2nd gear luckily and could drive a little bit.

It sucks ford decided to use a chevy steering set up on those years, my K5 had the push pull and it has bad brake steering and power steering issues, pulls one way with brakes, the other under throttle...genius i say. genius.

That thing has made a complete 180 from when you got it, and the work you have done is great. Keep it up.

Paint it lime green!

Thanks jebadiah04!
When I removed the shifter it was stuck in reverse and was not somewhere I could leave and wait for a roll back. I actually drove over a mile in reverse to get it back to where I work. I did draw some odd looks, but luckily not those of the police.
The steering is the down fall of this truck, it follows groves in the road and ruts off road. I still have the IROK's, but I acquired a set of 37x12.5x16.5 mil-spec Goodyear Wrangler MTR's that I had mounted on Pro Comp style 52's. The harder sidewall of the Goodyear's helped somewhat but it still exhibits the same behaviors you mentioned above. I would like to convert it to crossover steering like on the Bronco's and F-150's of the era, but that will be in the future.
Aside from still having the same paint as when I bought it, almost everything on this truck has been replaced or repaired. It has been a fun, rewarding build. Fortunately a deployment funded the majority of the build, and it will take another one to finish it.

Looking Good

Ford Truck Articles