Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how much would a shop charge to replace a main seal

i'm sure i can't do it myself. any ballpark numbers on what it would cost.

i can get a 1990 f150 supercab 4x4 with a 351 that leaks pretty bad for $800. its got a few little things wrong with it but otherwise looks to be in awesome shape.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The part is only $20-30, but you'll be charged up butt for labor, since it involves either pulling the trans or the engine.

VERY rough estimate: At $80/hour labor, at LEAST 3 or 4 hours to pull and replace engine/tranny... You're looking at at least $200-300 + cost of parts.

It's really not that hard Tom... When I do mine I'll be pulling the trans. The hardest part is getting your hands on a trans jack that's big enough for the e4od (in my case). After that, it's really straight forward:

rearmainseal.jpg

rearmaindiagram.jpg

rearmainseal2.jpg

hmmm....sounds easier than i thought to do myself, but also sounds cheaper than expected to have a shop do it. i might go look at it

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
hmmm....sounds easier than i thought to do myself, but also sounds cheaper than expected to have a shop do it. i might go look at it
I said at LEAST!! Lol. I would imagine it'll probably be closer to the $300-400 range but I really dont have a clue. Maybe one of the techs can offer advice there...

EDIT: Just looked on my repair manual website (gives labor estimates) and it ranged from 4.4 to 8 hours of labor, depending on your setup and the shop you take it to. At $80 an hour you're looking at $352 - $640.

Last edited:
nevermind - asked the guy some more questions and it went from "leaks oil and needs a new main seal" to "no, it's not drivable at all - the engine is totally shot"

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
you can also use a two ton floor jack and a couple blocks of wood and a ratchet strap to get it out.

Michigan
charged me 400 bucks and had it done the day after. but i know the guy and he also charged me 125 to do the radius arm bushings and if anyone has ever had em replaced the labor is well over 400 bucks. That price was included with a new bracket that i needed.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

Depending on how much rust you have to fight with it mabe better to give to a shop, broken bolts and such the shop will fix easier than yourself plus you shouldn't have to pay extra they should consider that when you get an estimate.

ill tell you what they told me. If you have the capability of pulling the tranny and trailering the truck to the shop to have them do the seal it wont hardly cost any thing. other wise the rear main on my 88 f150 2x was going to cost me about $550 and i didnt want to pay that

Michigan
Pulling the trans to me would be the toughest part...

Ford Truck Articles