Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Horn

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Hey, Guys-

My horn is not working at the moment. It will sometimes sound sick when it hasn't been used in a while, especially in damp weather. I always figured it's drawing moisture--when you blow it a couple times in works again.

Now, after holding it in, and banging on it a bit while a friend held the button in, it's still not working. It's getting power--you can hear it clicking, or popping when the button is pushed, but it's not blowing.

Any ideas?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Should be adjuster screws on it. Try going either way with them.

Here I'd blame Mud Daubers hehe..
"sounds" like it's bellowed its' last "OUT OF THE WAY, ***HOLE!" :rofl2:
Replacements are cheap!

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Yep, played with the adjusters a little too. It would blow a time or two, then quit. I have a spare I pulled at a yard one time. It isn't any newer, but I'll try it.

The thing is, I like the sound of the original horn. I don't want to put a modern girly sounding horn on my truck.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Okay, the cattle/bull horn is damn tempting. I do have a set of bull horns (from the animail) I could strap to my brush guard too.

Thanks for the links. What would really be sweet is an old set of dual Cadillac horns. Those sounded great!

I'm pretty sure those are what those "extra-loud" horns sound like from the description, lol... but I'm sure you can find old caddy horns too.
Two different people gave me sets of airhorns for christmas- I opted to put them BOTH in! just needed an extra relay, lol...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh, no.... there are some NASTY sounding new horns! From Extra-Loud Horns and TRAIN HORNS to BULL HORNS!

Very nice...thanks for the links. I'm not a fan of what my current horns sound like and have been contemplating going with true air horns...but I don't like the price. I'm thinking the ones you posted will be a definite upgrade and at the very least, I've spent $20ish in worse ways.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If you want stock horns I can grab a few out of junlyard while I'm out here.

If you want stock horns I can grab a few out of junlyard while I'm out here.

Just where are you in Oklahoma, right now? Im over north of Joplin a little ways in Missouri- We have a 'yard over here you might LOVE called "Lost 40 Salvage" that caters to older cars & trucks...
They're at 27750 Green Hills Ln Carl Junction, MO +14176497211

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
sounds like ur horns dead to me man... my stangs barely just about to tick over to being 6 years old and one side of its stock horn died even before it turned 2... granted i never cared for how the stock one sounded anyways... but i upgraded to a WOLO train horn...

heres the video comparison i did of when i was swapping mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sleJQnMe2HU

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Train horn + truck = AWESOME! :D

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I'm dreaming up a scene at the WalMart... :wasntme:

nahh... parking lots and parking garages lol... bowling alleys, mall, car meets.... specially when people are standing next to it or looking under the hood... ill set it off... lol fun to watch em jump..

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Thanks for the ideas and replies, fellas. Mr fixit, if you think those sound like the old Caddy horns, I think they're worth a shot for the money. I might have to try those.

Sean- I have a spare stock one in the garage. I'll see if it works for now while I continue to shop! But thanks very much for the offer!

Let me guess

78 or 79 without speed control ?

Usually all you need is to set them up on a relay system... like trucks with speed control.

Trucks with speed control uses the regular horn circuit to power the cruise..the horns work off a relay through alternate wiring

Non-speed control trucks have a straight 12 (WEAK) volts going to them.They SUCK

My suggestion. get a couple of Large Mercury Lincoln TWO-TONE horns and run them off a relay.70's Buick Olds,caddy horns work well too

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Just where are you in Oklahoma, right now? Im over north of Joplin a little ways in Missouri- We have a 'yard over here you might LOVE called "Lost 40 Salvage" that caters to older cars & trucks...
They're at 27750 Green Hills Ln Carl Junction, MO +14176497211

I'm in Moore right now. That junkyard might be a bit far from me but if I get closer that way I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the info.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Let me guess

78 or 79 without speed control ?

Usually all you need is to set them up on a relay system... like trucks with speed control.

Trucks with speed control uses the regular horn circuit to power the cruise..the horns work off a relay through alternate wiring

Non-speed control trucks have a straight 12 (WEAK) volts going to them.They SUCK

My suggestion. get a couple of Large Mercury Lincoln TWO-TONE horns and run them off a relay.70's Buick Olds,caddy horns work well too

Genius! I never would have thought there was a different set up.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts