Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

hmmm finally got that driveshaft off

rambler

New Shoes......
ok well finally had to go to the neighbors to get his torch to loosen the bolts on the driveshaft and got it off... I wonder if this is the reason for the noise in the front end.. ??

but now looking at the shaft,, I wonder how and if this can be repaired?

truck has been down too long, this is a Saginaw CV head.. from what I looked up... now needs the hardened steel ball, and figure out how to replace it... and looks like Orielly's gave me the wrong part..been fun...

BIGRED911

Charter Member
Was it a rattle and squeek? My dudge did that just before the cv joint exploded, shook the crap outa me when it happened....i dropped the front drive shaft n left it 2wd for a while, there are some machine shops that can cut the old cv off and weld a new one on, or you can buy a whole new driveshaft.....

rambler

New Shoes......
little bit of vibration. then large vibration... I tried to get a used one or even parts off a used one to get it fixed, ended up taking it to a driveshaft shop, he knew exactly what it came off, just by looking at it.. and he came highly recommended.. so should be done tomorrow..all rebuilt @$150... here's hoping !

BIGRED911

Charter Member
little bit of vibration. then large vibration... I tried to get a used one or even parts off a used one to get it fixed, ended up taking it to a driveshaft shop, he knew exactly what it came off, just by looking at it.. and he came highly recommended.. so should be done tomorrow..all rebuilt @$150... here's hoping !

Cool, good luck...mine for the dudge was $270

rambler

New Shoes......
pick of rebuilt shaft..

not a bad job ! just bad phone camera !

driveshaft2_zpsfd5d2406.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

also pulled right side axle and replaced U-Joint there as well. no pics of that job.. but back on the road,, just in time for the weather to hit. !

Ford Truck Articles