Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

hmm

This is what a factory ranger/b series diesel looks like - just to make it easy you could go to your local jap auto parts importer and ask him to get you a WL -T engine complete with 5 speed box.
The turbo option is something you'll want as the n/a ones were a bit gutless if you wanted to tow anything over 3000 lb.

Ranger_diesel.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not the Izuzu...that's only a short step away from being a GM :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll watch that video here in a sec, but I bet I can guess it involves black smoke? I want reliability and good fuel mileage, so probably just leave the 'ol girl stock, unless the 3.0 takes a dump on me, (does smell like burning coolant after she's been run hard...), anyway, was thinking the ford 2.3L gasser might make another good swap, though not sure it's a direct bolt onto my 5spd, thought I read that somewhere. Anyway, dreaming is free, lol.

racsan

4xford
the only bad thing about a turbo is that when the turbo dies, its a minumum $1,000 for a replacement, and a motor ment to have a turbo on it runs horrible if the turbo is out, had a oliver farm tractor that ate a turbo every 3 years. the n/a oliver was consistantly reliable, but that turbo one had its issues.

yeah, I hear ya, my 350 has the old 7.3 n/a, something like 180hp? She's a dog, but I like dogs 'cuz they are loyal, and it's still a V-8 with a 5spd.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
yeah, I hear ya, my 350 has the old 7.3 n/a, something like 180hp? She's a dog, but I like dogs 'cuz they are loyal, and it's still a V-8 with a 5spd.

That engine is a true diesel...not like another one I could mention that took a gaspot engine and aborted it :D

Ford Truck Articles