Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hitch wiring advice needed!

Stoner Dan

California Chapter member
Hey, guys ––*I'm finally getting around to installing the new hitch receiver on my '74 F350 SCS. Got the receiver mounted and the brake installed and wired, as well as the hookup mounted at the rear.

But, now I have to run the wire kit from the front of the truck to the rear and into the hookup. The wiring looks fairly straight-forward at the back of the truck, since the wires are color-coded (white, green, brown, yellow) and even labeled. But where do I splice the wires in at the front of the truck? Into the fuse panel? Somewhere else? I'm not great at wiring--I usually fumble my way through it and create at least one extra problem that wasn't there before when I do this stuff, so I thought the smart money was on asking the board, here.

Thanks in advance, guys –– I don't wanna screw this one up...

Usually it was done on the left rear of the truck

The HOT (power) wire is what runs all the way from the starter rrelay

Stoner Dan

Thanks, Mil1ion –– I got the wiring running down the driver's side frame rail, but I don't know where to connect the wiring to actuate the turn signals, flashers, brake lights, etc. I bought the bundled wires that are all color coded and labeled, but where do each of those wires connect? Do I have to find the wiring under dash and splice into them or do I connect them directly to the fuse panel? Is there a bundle of wiring under the dash that I need to look for and scotch-clamp the trailer wiring into it?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
http://www.etrailer.com/t1-1973-year.htm

Using one of these, you can separate the plug in the harness at the back of the truck, and plugin the tee. That will keep you from havin to hack your wires to get brake lights, turn signals, flashers, etc. You will still have to run a hot source from the battery(as Dennis said) and a ground, if so desired.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That T is great idea Doug...I wasn't aware of them!

I have 3 of those T's in my garage for 73-79 F series and rangers/explorers
I bought them at Princess auto surplus

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Princess Auto...always best to go there with only $50 in your pocket :D

Stoner Dan

OK, got the tee for the rear of the truck--now, where do I attach the wires on the other end? In other words, how do I make the tee "hot?"

It appears you need a photograph of the exact spot.

Until then, You have to splice into the harness

http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

You put one wire to LH TS = LH rear light - yellow wire
one wire to RH TS = RH rear light - Green wire
One wire to the BROWN wire (running lights) Usually brown
One wire for ground + usually Black
One FUSED wire for Power (HOT) (usually White

Trailerwiring.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The fact that you have plugged the tee into the harness, makes the wires hot. You will have a plug at the end of the tee that plugs into the trailer, which then gives you taillights, brake lights, turn signals, and flashers. If you want or need more than that, you will have to run separate wires for trailer brakes, or a hot 12v power supply.

see where is says 13404 and 13A409

That's where this kit plugs into the harness

Click to enlarge 3 times

Last edited:

Stoner Dan

Ah, I think I spoke too soon: I don't have a tee like that at all. But that sure does look like what I need!

So, Mil1ion, is that diagram showing a harness at the rear of the frame that was factory installed?

Yes, Click it about 3 times to see it up close

There is a connector at the back of the truck near or between the frame rails.
With this device
You unplug the connector then plug in the device and plug in the 2nd connector.
This kit allows for no splicing and soldering wires

Personally after installation I would coat the whole connector with di-electric grease or lubriplate then wrap it with duct tape.

This should stop corrosion on the connector terminals

Last edited:

Stoner Dan

OK--that connector is the missing link I wasn't aware of! I'll get under her and take a look and see if I can find that thing.

Now, as far as that tee connector goes, Mil1ion: I've never seen one quite like that ––*is there a shop near you that sells them? I'd love to get my hands on one of those...

They show up on ebay all the time.
The one that was linked to in an earlier post said it sells for $14.95

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Those tees are great. I bought one off ebay awhile back and it works great. Just do yourself a favor and make the wiring neat. So many people leave it hanging and rubbing on stuff and wonder why they have all sorts of lighting issues.

I suppose anything is possible ;)

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts