Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

High idle mod: SEIC or BCP?

I'm planning on doing the high idle mod on my truck and I'm wondering how I should do it. I'm doing it just in case I have to idle my truck for an extended time in the winter.

High idle mod: http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?'05-'06 High Idle

Differences in behavior:

BCP
will automatically vary RPMs from 1200 up to 2400 to maintain battery charge
does not lock the torque converter
has an additional wire that is an output that can be used to turn on an indicator lamp to show that BCP is active. i.e. if you want to install an LED in your dash to tell you BCP is on. Since the upfitter switch has a light on the end of this, I don't see much point in this (if you're using a factory upfitter switch).
SEIC
does not automatically vary the RPMs. Sets idle at 1200 (unless you take advantage of the additional control wire).
has an additional control wire that you can hook to a resistor to vary the RPMs. You could install a variable potentiometer (i.e. a knob on your dash) to let you dial in whatever RPM you want, when SEIC is active - from 1200 to 2400 (I think that's the max).
locks the torque converter

Another option might be to do both, though my main concern with that would be accidentally turning both on and doing some sort of harm. I'm currently leaning towards going BCP only.

SEIC is the route I recommend.... I believe the BCP is for emergency vehicles such as ambulances that use allot of juice for lights etc....

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles