Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

hi, Headlights do morse code .. stalls

stange, headlights been going dim and them bright when i hit the gas, then started doing morse code ,,I might have changed the fuel pump for no reason. cause what it was doing . when i started it, it just dies until i need to restart it.and does the same thing , im thinking idle. but i dont think its the idle, sonething electricqal is preventing it from idling normal , thanks. 69 f250 ranger,

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Definitely electrical...sounds like maybe your alternator isn't charging your battery, resulting in the truck trying to run off your battery, which results in it dying. I'd say time for a new alt, solenoid, ignition module and battery. Not all of them are needed, just something I like to switch all at once.

blacksnapon

Staff member
stange, headlights been going dim and them bright when i hit the gas, then started doing morse code ,,I might have changed the fuel pump for no reason. cause what it was doing . when i started it, it just dies until i need to restart it.and does the same thing , im thinking idle. but i dont think its the idle, sonething electricqal is preventing it from idling normal , thanks. 69 f250 ranger,
Follow your battery cables to their end (especially the ground) and make sure everything is clean and tight.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Just for kicks, how about your floor-mounted headlight dimmer switch... Ford had a habit of running power for a host of things thru that switch. Sure is cheaper to replace it than all the other things suggested.

For electrical problems you need to just plain ol' use a meter.

Face it, except for the spark jumping across the gap, electricity is invisible.

The meter can tell you things about stuff you didn't even think to ask. ;)
Don't waste one more dollar on parts you don't need.. buy a cheap analog
meter from Checker or AutoZone. Analog not digital, ok? ;) And figure out
how to use it by checking voltages and stuff on parts that are working fine.

If you haven't the foggiest idea about how to use the dangged thing ask
about it here, this thread is as good as any. :)

Alvin in AZ
ps- If this dumb ditch digger can use a meter so can you.
pps- Yeah, that's a pick and shovel and digging bar... existing wires! LOL :)

Does your highbeam indicator light stay on when you have it on low beams and highbeams? I had that issue with my truck and found that the wires were melted together and the highbeams were always on. and when i switched to low beams, both the highbeams and the lowbeams where on and it popped the circuit breaker. and my lights would flash...just an idea..

radialarm

Clown of Death!
You might try removing all your under hood grounds and cleaning them with sandpaper or a wire brush, then retighten!!!

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
No the high beam indicator shouldnt be on when the lowbeams are on. Sounds to me like ya either got some elecrical gremlins or a PO has messed with it. Also there isnt an ignition box these ones have points.

Ford Truck Articles