Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Heres a tricky one..

Michigan
This is gonna take a while to explain so old people (Goose) or if you need reading glasses make sure you have em and a cold drink cuz this is gonna take a while LOL!

To start it off. My buddy has a 1994 F150 single cab short box 4x4. 6 inch lift.

I sold him my 1995 F150 extended cab 4x4 and he used it for parts. Most might remember i had that truck the same time i had my black bronco. It had a 302 MAF motor in it, 4R70W transmission.

Well my buddys 94 came with a carburated 351W that someone rigged up and ran like crap. He also had a 91 mustang with a 302 Cobra engine. So he took the harness, air intake, and computer out of my black 95 MAF motor. Then took the 302 cobra motor out of the mustang. Used that motor with the 302 truck intake, MAF harness, computer, all the other goodies.

The truck ran great. Went to test drive and the E4OD trans went out. So he went and picked up a ZF 5speed and put that in it. Did a really good job installing it. Well after he got all that done he took it for a test drive and noticed sometimes it cuts out while taking off. Thought maybe it was loosing spark so he put new wires and plugs in it. Drove it for about a day and it started cutting out again..

Im looking to buy the truck off of him and im kind of trying to figure out what causes this? Im thinking maybe the computer since its a MAF but yet he has a bigger cam in the 302 or maybe the 5 speed transmission? I know when you order a new PCM you have to tell them if its a manual or auto trans.

He has long tube headers on it. True duals and no O2 sensors in it yet. Could that cause it?

Or maybe a bad mass air flow sensor? I know my 95 ran and ran good before he took the harness out of it.

:hammer:

Ford Truck Articles